Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Ruston Hereford Regt 2572

KIRKY

Got a medal to above , apparently he was wounded twice and went to hospital cannot find anything other than MIC. Anyone find anything else about him , where he was etc?

Hi full name was Charles Thomas Ruston. Sent to Valletta Hospital Malta when wounded.

Tony

Tony

1/1 Herefords were at Gallipoli with 158 Brigade of 53 Division,landed C Beach Suvla Bay on 9 Aug 1915,were there until Dec when went to Egypt until Jun 18 when to France via Italy. Both Gallipoli and Egypt casualties were taken to Malta in times of bed or medical resource shortage.MIC mirrors date of first landing at Gallipoli on 9.8.1915.

Sotonmate

I can give you some personal details about him, if you're interested...

Charles Thomas Ruston was born in Ross, Herefordshire in March 1896 and died in Stroud, Gloucestershire in December 1967. He was a Tin Smith by trade and married Milbra Knight in June 1922.

Sandie

He was listed as Pte Thomas Ruston on the Herefords Reserve Recruits list published October 1914 with home address 2, Brookfield Road, Ross.

Got a medal to above , apparently he was wounded twice and went to hospital cannot find anything other than MIC. Anyone find anything else about him , where he was etc?

Hi full name was Charles Thomas Ruston. Sent to Valletta Hospital Malta when wounded.

Tony

Hi Tony,

If you PM me your E-mail address I can send you a copy of the 1/1st Herefords War Diary covering August 1915.

Regards

Will

Thanks for all that , great info and Will thanks for diaries.

Is there anyway of knowing where and when he was wounded?

Tony

Hello Myrtle,

His father was Thomas Ruston of the same address. Could it be him?

Sandie

Sandie

Possibly, but Charles's father would have been 47 years old in 1914 and I can not see any sign of a Charles Ruston joining up.

Myrtle

K

At Kew yesterday and they had a problem with online documents,which thwarted my plan to look at the War Dairy WO95/4323 for 1 Herefords at Gallipoli.

Sotonmate

THanks for your efforts!

tony

Kirky

What is the source for Thomas Ruston being wounded twice ?

I have copies of the 1915 Herefordshire Regimental diaries. As you know the names of ORs were rarely mentioned amongst the casualties. I have looked through the pages and haven't found mention of Thomas Ruston's name.