Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramleh CWGC Cemetery

michaeldr

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of a very kind visitor to Ramleh War Cemetery a few years ago, I have some headstone photographs. If you would like to post your great grandfather's details, I'll check to see if I can help.

Thank you for replying to my request. My great grandfathers name was Private Charles James Slocombe 35741. He was in 1st/4th Battalion, Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry. He died 9th April 1918 He is buried in Row R, Grave 72. Many thanks for checking.

Hi Kassie

Unfortunately, I do not have a headstone photo for Pte Slocombe. Here's hoping that Michael will be able to help you.

Sorry to disappoint.

Kassie,

I've made a note of that [Row R, Grave 72 Charles James Slocombe 35741]

I'll be in touch again as soon as I can; may be next month if not sooner

regards

Michael

Morning Michael

may I be a complete pain and add a name, please.

After the headstone pic of

J. LOCKLEY Grave V.21.

Driver 1034283

many thanks if you can help,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I know that your post was directed to Michael, but I thought it would be worth my checking whether I had a photo of J Lockley's headstone. Unfortunately, I don't so I hope Michael will be able to help you when he visits Ramleh War Cemetery.

• 5 weeks later...

On Sunday the 9th, we had the Service of Remembrance and Dedication at Ramleh. It was very well attended on a bright and warm (30º+) morning.

Marking the centenary of the commencement of the Great War, the service was graced by the attendance of a couple of pensioners from the Royal Hospital Chelsea; possibly the first time that their distinctive uniform has been seen out here.

P1040645_zps2fd06021.jpg

P1040637_zpsd01fc8f2.jpg

The Brits were well supported by friends and former foes alike, making for a huge display of floral tributes at the end of the ceremony.

P1040660_zps8aed1c3f.jpg

I managed to get the pictures of the two headstones requested

P1040650_zps2d64550a.jpg

P1040653_zpsad533c1e.jpg

Kassie and Graeme - If you would like the full size file of your picture, then please let me have a PM with your e-mail address

Next to Graeme's chap was this headstone to

1866 Moch. D.

Narasimaloo

attatched 89th Battery RFA, 16th Brigade

died 13-10-20

P1040657_zps995148bc.jpg

P1040656_zpsdceea771.jpg

The overall shape of the headstone conforms to the CWGC design, however it is in bad repair and lacks the attention to detail one expects – no unit badge, the text not clearly laid out and the date format much abbreviated. I feel that it is a little sad that this fellow could not be given a proper marker.

I managed to get the pictures of the two headstones requested

P1040650_zps2d64550a.jpg

P1040653_zpsad533c1e.jpg

Kassie and Graeme - If you would like the full size file of your picture, then please let me have a PM with your e-mail address

Thank you so so much. This will mean so much to my mum.