Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramleh CWGC Cemetery

michaeldr

• 2 months later...

Could I ask if you have a photograph of the headstone for the following

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/654034/MITCHELL,%20JAMES

as he belongs to a very special group of individuals that I am researching.

Fingers crossed

Tony

Tony,

I am not sure when exactly I shall be in Ramleh again, but when I go, then I shall try to get this for you.

If you think that I have forgotten, then please feel free to remind me of this in a month or so

best regards

Michael

You are a Gentleman and a scholar!

ps......i may need reminding to remind you!

• 2 months later...

Quote from post No. 17

But still I managed to prove my fallibility:

apologies to Bob as Daubney seems to be missing, and to Llew as Moss has also been overlooked this time. [Old age setting in I suppose]

As you will no doubt remember, I have some unfinished business at Ramleh

There is also at least one new request from Tony:

MITCHELL, JAMES

Date of Death: 22/12/1917

Regiment/Service: British West Indies Regiment 1st Bn.

Grave Reference AA. 71

I hope to get around to visiting Ramleh again in the near future and will be happy to accommodate any other requests. As previously, the tech. age means low/nil costs, however a donation to the GWF is always welcome

Michael

OK Graeme; got a note of

CHAPLIN, FREDERICK DUDLEY

Service No: 537203 Date of Death: 01/12/1939 Age: 39 Regiment/Service: 1st The Royal Dragoons Grave Reference D. 16. Cemetery RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Graeme,

there's no problem with WWII requests with clear grave refs.

Please remind me to whom to send the pic. after my visit

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

• 2 weeks later...

Michael, can I ask when you are going as I may have a few more to add to my massive list of 1 name, but I'm not sure how quick I can get them sorted.

Michael,

Your kind offer is much appreciated as ever, I hope you're well.

I'd be most grateful for any of these you have time for,

kind regards,

Bob

BAGOT-CHESTER-Major-WALTER GREVILLE--2nd Bn. attd. 3rd Bn.-z india 3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles----28/03/1918-31-Son of the Rev. A. S. M. Bagot-Chester and Mrs. Bagot Chester, of "Elford House," Ferring, Worthing. Served in France from Oct., 1914. Severely wounded at Loos. Rejoined Regt. and served in Egypt and Palestine-M C, Mentioned in Despatches--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-S. 2

BELL-IRVING-Captain-W O---huss 11 - Prince Albert's Own----29/11/1917---M C--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 16

TWISLETON-Major-FRANCIS MORPHET-9/662--NZEF Auckland Mounted Rifles----15/11/1917-44-Son of Thomas and Mary Twisleton, of Settle. Yorks, England. Served also on Gallipoli and in France-M C--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-M. 4

YARDE-Captain-JOHN TRISTRAM--1st/5th Bn.-Bedfordshire Regiment----21/09/1918-24-Son of John Edward and Bessie Beresford Yarde, of 7, Kimbolton Avenue, Bedford. J.T. Yarde was Head of Bedford School and Captain of Boats; he also rowed for Christ's College, Cambridge-M C & Bar, Twice Mentioned in Despatches--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-CC. 48

DIGBY-Corporal-C J-202030-1st/4th Bn.-Essex Regiment----19/09/1918-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-U. 83

MITCHELL-Private-JAMES-9191-1st Bn.-British West Indies Regiment----22/12/1917-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-AA. 71

PRIMROSE-Captain-NEIL JAMES ARCHIBALD--1st/1st-Hussars, Royal Bucks.----15/11/1917-34-Second son of 5th Earl of Rosebery (the former Prime Minister) and Countess of Rosebery; husband of Lady Victoria Primrose (now Lady Victoria Bullock), of Swynford Paddocks, Six Mile Bottom, Newmarket. Privy Councillor and Member of Parliament for Wisbech Division, Cambs. since 1910-M C--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-D. 49

RENTON-Captain-ALAN JOHN--2nd Bn.-Essex Regiment----02/12/1917-23-Son of James Henry and Helen Maud Renton; husband of Nini Madeline Renton, of 29, Cambridge St., Hyde Park, London. Educated at Eton and R.M.C., Sandhurst---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-K. 7

RIGGENBACH-Lieutenant-FRANCIS ARTHUR--1st/6th Bn.-Essex Regiment----19/09/1918-21-Son of Franz and Mary Ann Riggenbach, of Murton House, Higham Rd., Woodford Green, Essex---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-E. 35

WARD-Second Lieutenant-H H--1st/4th Bn.-Essex Regiment----19/09/1918-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-U. 88

CURWEN-WALKER-Lieutenant-JACK KEITH--2nd Sqdn.-Australian Flying Corps----03/05/1918-30-Son of Lucy and the late John Christian Curwen-Walker, of 27, Valentine Grove, Malvern, Victoria, Australia. Native of Windsor, Victoria---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-CC. 57

HASLER-Private-LESLIE JAMES-250105-1st/5th Bn.-Essex Regiment----03/12/1917-24-Son of William and Sarah Jane Hasler, of Moore's Garden, Good Easter, Chelmsford, Essex---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-K. 6

KINGSBURY-Driver-ARTHUR-64041-140th Bty. 16th Bde.-Royal Field Artillery----17/08/1920-27-Son of Albert and Elizabeth Kingsbury, of Childe Okeford, Blandford, Dorset---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-E. 3

Bob,

Good to hear from you again

There should be no distractions (or excuses :blush: ) this time and I will try not to overlook DAUBNEY-Private-GEORGE HENRY-55822-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----05/12/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-B. 10

Take care

Michael

Bob,

what do you need Private James Mitchell for? Are you doing something on the SAD men?

Michael,

Your kind offer is much appreciated as ever, I hope you're well.

I'd be most grateful for any of these you have time for,

kind regards,

Bob

MITCHELL-Private-JAMES-9191-1st Bn.-British West Indies Regiment----22/12/1917-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-AA. 71

Do you have a specific list of SAD photos, as I am trying my hardest to collect all of them......287 and counting, so I only have another 59 to collect. I have 27 more on the way for certain so the numbers are dwindling all the time. They shall all be put on my website in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael thank you for the offer of photographing J Mitchell at Ramleh, but I no longer need the photo as somebody living in Israel has been kind enough to send me the photo.

BobPike, if you want the photo as well please send me a PM

Michael thank you for the offer of photographing J Mitchell at Ramleh, but I no longer need the photo as somebody living in Israel has been kind enough to send me the photo.

No problem; glad you've got it sorted

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Bob & Graeme,

I'll try to complete this soon after Easter

all the best

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was a lovely spring morning at Ramleh. Not too hot and plenty of colours still to be seen: a credit to the hard work of the CWGC staff here.

This oasis of peace and tranquillity, in an increasingly industrialised area, is also enjoyed by the birds and I was pleased to see a Jay and a Smyrna Kingfisher, as well a the usual crows and sparrows.

P1030643_zps06cbd488.jpg

P1030635_zpsc005ddc8.jpg

Michael,

They are excellent, I am extremely grateful. If I can help with any France, Flanders, Gallipoli photos do not hesitate to ask,

Kind regards,

Bob

• 1 year later...

I know you went to Ramleh war cemetery a while back but do you know of anyone visiting again as I would very much like to get a photo of my great grandfathers grave for my mum.

I know you went to Ramleh war cemetery a while back but do you know of anyone visiting again as I would very much like to get a photo of my great grandfathers grave for my mum.

Courtesy of a very kind visitor to Ramleh War Cemetery a few years ago, I have some headstone photographs. If you would like to post your great grandfather's details, I'll check to see if I can help.