Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramleh CWGC Cemetery

michaeldr

I hope to visit this cemetery over the weekend

If anyone requires photographs of headstones here, then please let me know

This thread will remain open to requests untill 1200 hrs local time on FRIDAY, 19th October 2012

Please be very clear as to the grave ref. which you supply

This cemetery was open from 1917 until 1948 and some grave refs. are duplicated

see http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/72001/RAMLEH%20WAR%20CEMETERY

quote: PLEASE NOTE : The 1914-1918 section has many grave references identical to the 1939-1945 and Post War sections. Please check you are in the correct part of the cemetery by a simple check of the dates on the headstones. The cemetery layout plan is available online at www.cwgc.org

regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

If you get a chance could you get me a pic of Pte Patrick McCrank's headstone. He lies at Plot K14 at Ramleh Cemetery.

Thank you for the offer.

JIM

I would like to take up your kind offer Michael. Leading Seaman Archie Russell MAYES C/J/12120 died 19th Feb 1941. Grave number L2.

Many Thanks.

Lionboxer

Gentlemen,

After previous exasperating experience here, I do a cross check

Unfortunately, the CWGC search engine is not what it used to be

and the answer below is typical: LB, yours is the example but it could have been from anyone!

Find War Dead

Here are your results. Too many? Use the filter on the left to narrow them down.

To save your results you need to be a registered user. Click here to register with us.

You have searched for Surname: Mayes, Country: Israel and Palestine (including Gaza), Cemetery or memorial: Ramleh, War: Second World War

<a name="ContentPlaceHolderDefault_cpMain_ctlCasualtySearch_btnNewSearch">

0 record(s) match your search criteria

Please provide a direct link to the CWGC record of the burial which you wish to have photographed

Michael

I would like to avail of you very kind offer for the following two soldiers.

BURNETT, C. McM.

Service No: 72958

Date of Death: 21/11/1918

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

G.H.Q. Sig. Coy

Grave Reference DD. 25

Cemetery RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Hugh Burnett, of Newry House, Banbridge, Co. Down, and the late Mary Burnett

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/652030/BURNETT,%20C%20McM

McCREANOR, MICHAEL JOSEPH

Service No: 315661

Date of Death: 10/03/1918

Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers

5th Bn

Grave Reference U. 55

Cemetery RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of John and Catherine McCreanor, of Aughnagun, Mayo Bridge, Newry, Co. Down. Native of Banbridge, Co. Down

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/652797/McCREANOR,%20MICHAEL%20JOSEPH

Much appreciated,Tommy.

Michael,

Many thanks for your kind offer, if you could get any of the following 2nd Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment men it would be greatly appreciated.

10285 Wilfred Frank Flake grave ref: U. 102.

18956 William Buncher grave ref: K. 62.

21735 Frederick Hall grave ref: K. 46.

23290 Ernest Morriss grave ref: R. 63.

23292 George York grave ref: Y. 7.

23444 Frank Corbridge grave ref: U. 100.

31053 Thomas Avery grave ref: R. 65.

33507 Harry Stevens grave ref: R. 64.

39494 Albert Quarton grave ref: F. 36.

45053 Thomas Mark Moss grave ref: R. 19.

Regards.

Llew.

Michael

Thanks for your very kind offer. Grateful for:

BASCOMBE, ROLANDE ARTHUR

Rank:Private Service No:M2/167613 Date of Death:12/11/1918 Age:23 Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps, 895th Mechanical Transport Coy. Grave Reference DD. 37. Cemetery RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

John

MAYES, ARCHIE RUSSELL

Rank: Leading Seaman Service No: C/J/12120 Date of Death: 19/02/1941 Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M.S. Warspite Grave Reference L. 2. Cemetery RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Is this what you wanted Michael?

Lionboxer

Michael,

If i could take you up on you offer I would like to get headstone chap who was a 16th Bn CEF member who was seconded to RCF/RAF.

That is

TURNER, George James #29029 Plot G. 17

dod 4/10/1918

THanks

Mike C

Michael,

would be very grateful for a snap of the grave stone of the following local chap please;

Pte. 20384 Walter Letts

1/4th Northamptonshire Regiment

KIA 19th September 1918

GRAVE T 52

Many thanks. Safe journey and enjoy your trip!

Ant

MAYES, ARCHIE RUSSELL

Rank: Leading Seaman Service No: C/J/12120 Date of Death: 19/02/1941 Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M.S. Warspite Grave Reference L. 2. Cemetery RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

Is this what you wanted Michael?

Lionboxer

Lionboxer,

You're absolutely right – L2 is all the info given by the CWGC

and therefore I'll check first that 'L' opposite the Cross of Sacrifice

MapRamlehCWGCCemeteryII-1.jpg

If he's not there, then I will try the 'Ls' in Plots 3, 5 & 7

I'll let you know exactly where we find him

regards

Michael

Michael,

I would be most grateful if you could take ANY of these, please,

Kind regards,

Bob

PENFOLD-Lieutenant-EDWARD NORMAN--2nd Bn.-Lincolnshire Regiment-attd. 2nd Bn. -Leicestershire Regiment--20/05/1918-RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-R. 20

PERKINS-Private-JAMES EDWARD COOLING-55184-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----29/11/1917-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-J. 13

WRIGHT-Major-ROBERT--1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----29/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 19

LEVERS-Private-NORWOOD-55264-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----28/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-X. 1

ANDERSON-Private-R S-55645-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----28/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 8

MACHIN-Private-CHARLES HENRY-55670-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----28/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 10

PADDISON-Lieutenant-CHARLES WALTER--1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----29/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 21

HERROD-Private-J-56025-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----01/12/1917-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-B. 1

COPSON-Private-JETHRO ARTHUR-55571-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----30/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-J. 41

LYON-Lance Corporal-WALTER CYRIL-55627-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----25/03/1918---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-P. 41

MOFFAT-Private-W-56519-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----31/03/1918-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-P. 44

CRAGG-Private-LEONARD-55921-"D" Sqdn. 1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----28/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 11

MACHIN-Serjeant-WILLIAM ERNEST-55049-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----28/11/1917--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-W. 14

WRIGHT-Lieutenant-C--1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----29/11/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-F. 18

TYRRELL-Private-JOHN GEORGE-55690-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----28/11/1917--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-W. 13

DAUBNEY-Private-GEORGE HENRY-55822-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----05/12/1917---RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-B. 10

KING-Lieutenant-A T--1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----17/11/1917-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-B. 63

BELL-Private-T-55439-1st/1st-Lincolnshire Yeomanry----15/11/1917--RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-R. 10

CLARKE-Private-A W-201167-1st/5th Bn.-Bedfordshire Regiment----19/09/1918-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-E. 58

STAMMERS-Private-W-30918-1st/4th Bn.-Essex Regiment----15/07/1918-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-AA. 30

COATES-Lance Serjeant-ALFRED-250135-"C" Coy. 1st/5th Bn.-Essex Regiment-----RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY-B. 19

Bob,

it's nice to hear from you again

I will certainly try and get all of these for you

I am acting as driver and assistant to a guest from the PPOCA, so the timetable is up to him

But, we intend to make a very early start, so I am quite hopeful that I can help here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS LIST IS NOW CLOSED

edit: re-opened 2Mar2013

Edited by michaeldr

Michael,

This is most kind of you, I will be grateful for any you can manage.They are for an elderly friend who is researching the Lincs Regt and Yeomanry; he is unable to get to the battlefield and I am helping him out with photos in France, Flanders, Gallipoli etc but these will be a real bonus, thank you,

kind regards,

Bob

P1030216copy.jpg

A very hot day at Ramleh [1½ ltrs of drinking water was only just enough] Some more help turned up to assist our guest, so only about 5 hours work.

But still I managed to prove my fallibility:

appologies to Bob as Daubney seems to be missing, and to Llew as Moss has also been overlooked this time. [Old age setting in I suppose]

Gentlemen, please remind me of these two later.

Everyone else seems to have been covered, including Mayes who lies in that 'L' plot opposite the WWII Cross.

Please send me a PM with your e-mail addresses and I will get the picture files off to you as soon as I can; obviously there is a lot to load up, so this may take a few days.

In the digital age there are minimal costs involved, so no charge, but whoever wants to, can make a small donation to the GWF (after all, they made this possible)

best regards

Michael

Michael,

that was quick! PM received with thanks.

Ant

Michael

PM sent with e-mail details. Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Tommy.

Michael

Just a quick public thank you for the excellent photos. I never thought I would be able to obtain photographs of these two soliders last resting place. Much appreciated indeed and one family I know will be very happy indeed when I share this with them - "Still keeping the memory alive"

Regards, Tommy.

Hi Michael

Thank you very much for getting this headstone for me. it is one less I need on my 16th Bn CEF project. Much appreciated.

Mike C