Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W Barker, O F V Bowyer, ATJ Morgan buried in Chocques military cemeter

margaretdufay

Hi everyone, was at Chocques military cemetery yesterday morning and found this grouping of three graves, tried to find if they had already appeared on the Forum but could find no trace, do they have a story to tell.

mags

This is the information on the stones.

534 1st Air Mechanic

W Barker

Royal Flying Corps

13th March 1915 aged 20

542 Corporal OFV Bowyer

Royal Flying Corps

13th March 1915

872 1st Air Mechanic ATJ Morgan

Royal Flying Corps

12th March 191543bis.jpg

Here's the answer from Dolphin in a previous thread;

Cpl Oliver Francis Vernon Bowyer (582) of No 3 Sqn RFC was killed by an accidental bomb explosion while loading a Morane aeroplane at Mervill aerodrome on 12 March 1915. Also killed were Capt R Cholmondley, AMI W Barker, AMI G Cook, Flt Sgt G Costigan, AMI A H C Cuff, AMI A T J Morgan and AMI S J Tugwell. The bomb was a converted French artillery shell with almost no safety device; when it was dropped on its nose during the loading process, it exploded. When the flames from the explosion had died down, it was discovered that not all bombs had exploded, so the CO of No 3 Sqn, Maj J M Salmond, forbade anyone to go near the wreckage. However, by the next morning, all the remaining bombs had been removed and buried by Maj Salmond. Cpl Bowyer was a pre-War member of the RFC, having joined on 1 February 1913.

You're missing another 4 in the same cemetery died the same day in the same section and row, graves 36, 37, 38 and 43. all No3 Squadron, Cholmondley is listed for the 12th, why the disparity in dates for the Officer and OR's is a strange one.

Sam

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am the great nephew of W.Barker (Wilfred) this post is very intresting to me, i myself visited chocques cemetry in 2010 and also visited the grave site of his cousin C.J.T Barker who died 2 months later on the 11th May 1915 and is buried at the Royal Irish Rifles cemetry in lavantie.We have always known Wilfred died in a bomb accident at merville aerodrome as we have letters to his mother stating so but we never knew anything else, so the post by IPT gave us a bit more insight to what happened.Another intresting thing about the grave plot is that behind the graves are 2 stone crosses (which you can just see on your photo) which where part of the original memorial to the accident at merville aerodrome which was later dismantled , moved and placed at the cemetry.

• 5 years later...
4 minutes ago, Beaupre-sur-la-Lys said:

I would like to get in touch with : leighb4

He last visited the forum in September 2015, so may well not see your post.

• 2 years later...
On 18/11/2017 at 22:12, Beaupre-sur-la-Lys said:

I would like to get in touch with : leighb4. Subject : Wilfred Barker/Merville. Thank you.

Hi, havent been on the site for a while i have just saw you message.. I will check back regular..

• 2 years later...

Hi @leighb4

I would love to see anything you have about the accident. I am related to Reginald Cholmondeley whose plane they were loading and who was also killed. I also have letters relating to it and have been discussing the location with Beaupré-sur-la-Lys and others on here. I am writing a book about Reginald’s brother.

that is so interesting about the memorial being moved from Merville. 

my letters also say Régie and ten others were killed. Sgt. Burns died of wounds a few months later. 

thanks

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I am away from home at the moment i will be home next week, I will sort through the letters and photos etc when I get back.

I will be in touch soon

Regards Leigh.

Hello!

That is so kind. I think I have just found evidence of at least one other non RFC victim. I have also realised Burns died of wounds sustained on a different occasion. I look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes

Ruth