Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAAC MAP MAKERS IN FRANCE - OBOS

hibernianscribe

WAAC Mapmakers in France – OBOS

I have ‘searched’ the forum for ‘OBOS’ and ‘Ordnance Survey’ with 'nil' results so the I believe this subject has not been covered before here.

During 1917 the Overseas Branch of the Ordnance Survey (OBOS) was formed because of the heavy demand for new editions of trench maps and a growing concern about disruption of supplies of maps from England (Southampton).

A unit of 149 personnel was mobilised and based in an old factory at Wardreques near St Omer. The site was deemed suitable because of the existing building and the proximity of the Aire Canal that allowed convenient supply of materials by barge. Additional wooden buildings and a hostel were also erected.

By the beginning of March 1918, the unit had four printing presses running at full capacity, then the German offensive on the Somme took out two of the four field survey companies and this put additional pressure on OBOS to meet operational demands. During this offensive, OBOS worked ‘flat out’ and during a single two week period they produced 300,000 maps.

According to one of my references, OBOS personnel also used the canal for swimming during the warm weather. However, it was the location of the site that eventually became too ‘hot’ because of the closeness of the front that necessitated the unit to ‘up sticks’ and move in its entirety to Wimeroux near Boulogne for the final months of the war. Despite the urgency, this move was carefully planned so there was no disruption of map production. Shortly after the departure of OBOS from Wardreques, two German bombs fell on the site of the hostel.

Of the 149 OBOS personnel, 46 were WAACs and I believe most (if not all) were probably recruited directly from the Ordnance Survey Office in Southampton. However, I have no specific information about the manner of their recruitment.

My grandmother, Gertrude Knight (married name Lowdon) (1892-1994), was one of these OS employees but despite many an opportunity, I now kick myself for not asking the right questions when I had the opportunity – I am sure this must be the most common regret of all family history researchers but I am doubly sore because she lived until she was 102 and died when I was 45 so I had even more time than most to ask those questions!

I attach a photograph taken I believe at the back of the OS Office that at that time was at the top of the Avenue in Southampton. It shows 36 women in WAAC uniform. My grandmother is the pretty one sat in the front row, third from the right side of the picture and next to the officer.

There are some unanswered questions that maybe the vast pool of knowledge out there my shed a light or two to answer….

• Were these women in uniform at Southampton OS offices from the start of the war or were they drafted into the WAACs just prior to formation of OBOS?
  • Presumably the white collars indicate seniority – and if one assumes the normal protocol of seniors being seated, this would support this. I also have a single photo of my grandmother in uniform with the dark collar, which, if my collar theory is correct, would suggest she had some progression of rank during the time she was enlisted. Can anyone give more input on this?
  • Was OBOS an RE operation? Certainly the Ordnance Survey organisation going back had been under RE control and remained so (I think) until the 1920’s. Indeed, my grandmother’s father is listed in the 1901 census as “Sapper, RE Ordnance Survey Branch”. Can anyone advise me whether RE archives may help to provide more information about OBOS?
  • As far as my Grandmother’s service record is concerned, I have tried the online National Archives, but with a predictable blank – Apart from the medal records that I have on my list to do, is anyone able to suggest alternative sources?

I am thus trying to piece together as much as I can about my Grandmother’s war service and since OBOS was such a small, specific operation in just two consecutive, single places and involving so few personnel, it is likely that general information about what the women ‘got up to’ should apply to them all (I do not mean that in a ‘saucy’ sense). However, this ‘smallness’ of the operation is also a hindrance in identifying facts.

My first port of call in all of this was the Ordnance Survey but despite being very willing to help me, they can only corroborate the detail I have already written above via the references detailed below, and nothing more. Furthermore, personnel records at the OS are destroyed when a person dies or reaches the age of 100 – so I ‘missed that boat’ back in 1992!

Any photos of the OBOS operation will be few and far between – there are some held by the Ordnance Survey but I know of no others. However, I have yet to trawl through the National Archives and the Imperial War Museum when my time allows it.

The historical references I have used so far are: “History of the Ordnance Survey” by W.E. Seymour and “Ordnance Survey – Map Makers to Britain since 1791” by Tim Owen and Elaine Pilbeam. Could anyone suggest additional sources of information?

Incidentally, I am currently based in Dubai so my research is solely online at present.

Thanks

Frank

post-93251-0-17692600-1350396924_thumb.j

Frank

It looks like an interesting subject. There is a file at TNA in OS1/18/4 - Report on Overseas Branch Ordnance Survey (1919) which looks promising. I will have a look at it in a couple of weeks time if you wish.

TR

Thanks - that would be of considerable assistance in view of my current location. My first foray into the TNA online records missed it, but now I see it listed as non digital so your visit to Kew could reveal a bit more of the story.

Yours aye

Frank

Frank, a fascinating story and you must really be kicking yourself (most of us missed similar opportunities). One resource about WW1 mapping is available electronically. It probably won't share any new light for you but is worth reading. PM me and I can send it to you as a 2.5 MB PDF. Or visit and download from http://www.defencesurveyors.org.uk/world-war-1/item/131-report-on-survey-on-the-western-front.html.

It is 133 pages and is called 'Report on Survey on the Western Front 1914 - 1918'. Page 44 has 3 paragraphs on the OBOS and gives their strength as 2 officers, 120 OR and 60 W.A.A.C. and strongly praises their work, particularly in the 1918 spring offensive.

If you are interested in the techniques used, have a look at the Maps section on this forum where a (very) small number of technical enthusiasts live. I am personally interested in the work your grandmother might have done as I am fascinated by the role of the 'computers' in survey, the name given to the human beings who did the calculations that enabled maps in one format to be reconciled with the work of the surveyors and ultimately converted into printable x, y co-ordinates. Some of the late 19th and early 20th century work done by astronomers (star maps) was given to women as they only cost a small percentage of a man's salary yet were just as gifted mathematically.

A wonderful series of questions that your grandmother might have been able to answer!

The following was sent to me by a friend regarding this topic;

"The ladies with white collars are Forewomen - roughly the equivalent of NCOs, the dark collars are Workers - Private soldiers. The colour of the strip through their epaulette would indicate their branch - Red was the normal for Administration.

I believe the RE were the chaps responsible for production albeit closely aligned to the Intelligence Branch and the Photographic Interpreters of the Intelligence Corps who provided the raw data for the map-makers.

The Women's Royal Army Corps museum is based in Winchester - at a push they may have more on the role of the WAAC in this branch."

This is really helpful - I'm beginning to get some potentially good sources for additional info. Thanks

I have discovered the WAAC museum was swallowed up by the National Army Museum (Chelsea) in 1993 and all of the material was inherited by that organisation. They have been very helpful with suggestions although they tell me their data base throws up nothing relating to "OBOS". Some of the other info they have sent me does look promising, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Frank

I now have the document you require which I think you will find interesting. The woman in the centre of the front row of your photograph, next to your grandmother, is Miss E M Mills, in charge of the WAAC detachment. Please PM me your e mail address and I will send it on.

TR

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Frank

Can you get back in touch with Ordnance Survey please. via me on this forum, or direct to elaine.owen@os.uk.  Interested in your WAAC photo.  Thank you so much

You might like to get hold of Artillery's Astrologers: A History of British Survey and Mapping on the Western Front 1914-1918 by Peter Chasseaud.

That outlines a great deal of the history of mapping the Great War. Sadly its index shows only one mention of the WAAF but other background information may be useful.

A History of the Ordnamce Survey edited by W.A.Seymour has more on the OBOS than in Chasseaud's book.

I think they are both out of print but a local library may be able to get a loan copy.

I do have both and am happy to look up specifics.

Howard

Esther Mary MILLS, b 1885 d. of E.Mills of Pillerton, Warwick.  Educ. Crescent House College Bedford.  Served as Deputy Administrator France 6.3.1918 to 28.8.1918 and 12.9.1018 to 21.3.1919. Discharged on termination of engagement 30.4.1919.  Served as Welfare supervisor at Ordnance Survey Wimereux.   MBE in LG dated 3.6.1919

Inspection Report of the Controller-in-Chief,. October 1918: 

O.B.O.S. Wimereux - Deputy Administrator Miss Mills 

The women employed here were posted from the United Kingdom as a complete unit, having already been working with Ordnance as civilians some time previously.  Miss Mills has been in charge since the outset. Everything is satisfactory.  No. of women  29. 

NGG