Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

journey's end

mcfc1923

bought journey's end by R.C. Sherriff and Accrington Pals by Peter Whelan.

The pals book was great, realy enjoyed it, but the journey's end just bored me stiff, it's certainly one play I would not want to see. The characters and the narrative did nothing for me, very dissapointed.

so it's going up for sale on the forum if any one is interested.

mcfc1923

Whilst understanding your comment, I must say that the play - originally intended for a six week run in London earlier this year - is still pulling em in (with I think the third change in cast). Like the original presentation it recieved rave reviews from a number of respected critics. It is about to go on tour.

The book is a dramatisation, obviously, and represented Sherriff's first non-fiction work to be published - although prepared with the help of Vernon Bartlett. But the play still works very well. What was interesting when I went was the number of teenagers in the audience, and it seemed to me that it was good that they were getting something other than the usual fare of the Dead Great War Poets Society.

Regards

David

but the journey's end just bored me stiff, it's certainly one play I would not want to see. The characters and the narrative did nothing for me, very dissapointed.

Both saddened and surprised that Journey's End bored you; perhaps seeing a performance of the play might change your mind?

What do you think might have given the book/play greater depth?

Incidentally, I'm pleased to hear the current West End production has been extended and is to go on tour.

Rosemary

I am glad the production is being extended, too, as I have every intention of going to the Thursday, September 30 matinee! At first I thought it might be on tour and have ended in the West End, so was pleased to see it will still be going on.

It seems to have got good reviews. I also read the book and found it well done, but like Shakespeare, I think seeing it acted will have much more impact.

Cynthia

David, Rosemary, Cynthia,

maybe I was a little harsh, perhaps I should read the book again, and maybe even see the play.

it's just that with Peter Whelan's Accrington pals I found that I could sympathise

with the characters, but in journey's end the characters just did not feel real

enough to have any sympathy for.

mcfc1923

MCFC

Tour of Journey's End starts very shortly, details via here

Hope you get to see and enjoy.

Rosemary

Rosemary

thanks Rosemary,

mcfc1923