Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Burning Mill at Messines'

Mark Hone

Does anyone know a good version of this wonderful tune, composed by Pipe-Major John Spoore, available on CD or cassette? I first heard it on one of the 'Passendale Peace Concert' recordings but in my view that version is spoiled by an unnecessary guitar and keyboard accompaniment. Short of finding a pipe to play it live, I would like to use the recording on a future battlefields tour to Messines.

I meant a 'piper to play it live' of course! My talents sadly don't extend to playing the bagpipes.

Dear Mark,

I am a humble bagpiper and know how to play the tune. Let me know when you're coming over and I'll see if I can help you.

best regards,

Bert Heyvaert

Belgium

Dear Bert,

I'd be delighted and honoured if you would come and play for us. Unfortunately it is a little way off-October 2004, which will be our tenth anniversary school battlefields tour. I like to plan in advance! it would be a wonderful addition to the tour, which will include the dedication of a plaque to the 97 pupils of our school who died in the Great War (30 in the Ypres Salient) at St George's Church.

Keep your diary clear-I will confirm the exact date as soon as I can!

Best wishes,

Mark H.