Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Rifle Brigade?

7t2ndswinger

Attached a recent acquisition, I trust it's OK to post here despite the possibility it may slightly pre-date WW1 ?

No information on the back other than an Uncle Bert seated far left first row but someone has written LRB ? Over this is a post-it note stating LRB-yes, territorial service stars on lower arms.

I have a problem though as with the image enlarged the cap badge seems to be a bit more rounded than the post 1908 5th London Regiment (LRB) badge and seems to be more like a Rifle Brigade regulars. Can this photo be dated by the uniforms alone.

Also interesting to note the officer in the front row, sixth from left is wearing collar badges. The shoulder belt plates appear to have a King's crown but again look more larger and more rounded that the LRB pattern, the cord bosses have a Victorian crown.

Many thanks.

SI13332.jpg

They do not seem to be LRB but might well be from another battalion of the London Regiment that wore a cap badge of similar shape to that worn by the Rifle Brigade. There were several. The 8th, 17th (see image) and 19th are perhaps strong contenders.

Medal ribbons are probably from the 2nd Boer War and seen on members who were Rifle Volunteers prior to 1908 and the formation of the TF, although they might also be volunteer long service medals too.

post-599-0-95426300-1350061450_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

To complete my National Service in 1950 I served four years with the London Rifle Brigade and still used my Rifle Brigade cap badge. BTW I left for Canada in March 1954 still owing HM Government one week-end of service, I am now 87 so forgive me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2019 at 04:11, Les Quilter said:

I left for Canada in March 1954 still owing HM Government one week-end of service, I am now 87 so forgive me.

Ha ha! I could imagine the kerfuffle that you'd cause if the Powers That Be decide to call you on it!  Good on you! :thumbsup: