Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mauser cartridge markings

wulsten

Can anyone pass any info on this selection of codes found on several mauser cartridges around the base

15 3 s dm

14 2 s p

14 10 s dm

10 8 s s

14 1 k s

anything appreciated or advice where to research

Can anyone pass any info on this selection of codes found on several mauser cartridges around the base

15 3 s dm (1915 March S-Patrone Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken)

14 2 s p (1914 February S-Patrone Polte, Magdeburg)

14 10 s dm (1914 October S-Patrone Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken)

10 8 s s (1910 August S-Patrone Spandau Arsenal)

14 1 k s (1914 January .... hmmm, I might leave this one for TonyE.!) :rolleyes:

Cheers, S>S

Hi,

S: Spitzgeschoss (pointed bullet)

Cnock

It also means that the bullet is .323 diameter rather than the pre1905(ish) .318 dameter 'J' bullet. The later bullets were made shorter and fatter than the earlier ones as it was found that the longer barrel/bullet contact surface of the earlier types was wearing barrels too quickly. Barrel bores were increased a couple of thou to compensate and keep pressures within limits.

It also means that the bullet is .323 diameter rather than the pre1905(ish) .318 dameter 'J' bullet. The later bullets were made shorter and fatter than the earlier ones as it was found that the longer barrel/bullet contact surface of the earlier types was wearing barrels too quickly. Barrel bores were increased a couple of thou to compensate and keep pressures within limits.

The S-patrone bullet was .323" , but the pre 1903 88 Patrone was nominally .321". Fairly early in the life of the gew88 rifle it was found the .318 bores and bullets caused problems with fouling , erosion and burst barrels and that change was then made. Commercial entities in europe continued for many years to manufacture sporting rifles in the service chambering but with .318" bores.

Anyhow as I note the change to S patronen was in 1903. This is often confused to be 1905 by early novice writers whom confused the 1905 date of the program by germany to update gew88's to handle the S patrone. The only 1903 made gew98 with 88 patronen sights made was a few thousand at best in the startup at Amberg arsenal , but they quickly got the updates before too many were made to the 'old pattern'.

The marking K was for armour piercing ammunition from 1914, K bullet or K-ammunition. taken from the word 'kern' meaning core. Ref German 7.9mm Military Ammunition 1888-1945. DW kent.

15 3 s dm (1915 March S-Patrone Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken)

14 2 s p (1914 February S-Patrone Polte, Magdeburg)

14 10 s dm (1914 October S-Patrone Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken)

10 8 s s (1910 August S-Patrone Spandau Arsenal)

14 1 k s (1914 January .... hmmm, I might leave this one for TonyE.!) :rolleyes:

Cheers, S>S

Sorry S>S, I missed you passing that one to me!

As Mick says, the "K" is for the armour piercing round, "Spitzgeshoss mit Kern" and the one quoted is a really nice example. I have not seen one as early as January 1914 before and in fact I did not think they were introduced until later that year. The earliest example shown in "Die Militarpatronen Kaliber 7,9mm" (Brandt, Hamann and Windisch) is April 1915.

Mick - good to see Kent's book being used. Some of the drawings in it are mine and it was the first book I ever contributed to back in about 1966!

Regards

TonyE

Tony it was you who recommended it to me a few years back and I was lucky enough to find a copy almost immediately.

I had quite forgotten that, Mick - but that is what growing old does for one!

Cheers

TonyE

No, growing old is not being able to find my collection of German cases to check the dates of the couple of K's that are in there.

Sorry S>S, I missed you passing that one to me! As Mick says, the "K" is for the armour piercing round ...

As they say in my country, "no worries "Old Mate" (with a wink)" :thumbsup: I thought it might be for the armour piercing, but the early date made me decide to play it safe.! B)

Cheers, S>S

I understand your thoughts S>S. I am also rathersurprised at a K round that early. I wonder if the headstamp has been misread?

Regards

TonyE

As we are on the subject of German 7.92x57mm, here is a round not often encountered.

It is a regular German ball cartridge made into a drill round (probably at RSAF Enfield) for testing captured German weapons.

It has typical British characteristics, four holes drilled in the case, wooden distance piece and the bullet soldered to the case.

Headstamp is "S S 9 09".

post-8515-0-83467900-1350833079_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Tony, thanks for the reply just picked up the info, i have checked the round and it does appear to marked 14 1 k s, just for info the round was found near la bassee, it had also been fired, Geoff