The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Shared gravestones Vis-En-Artois.

jeffdanward

J.R Cowan No. 625658 H.A.C. Died 10-9-1918 and is buried in Vis-En-Artois Cemetery Haucourt. Unusually, in my experience, he shares his gravestone with J.C Tomlin 2nd. Canadian Mounted Rifles who died 9-9-1918. They have different plot nos. 11 . C . 32 and 33 respectively. The Maple Leaf and Artillery badges are side by side at the top of the stone.Tomlin's name is above Cowan's. I have never come across a shared gravestone in a British cemetery before and would be interested to know if this is a regular occurrence or a rarity. Presumably it happens because of lack of ground space. Regards Jeff Ward.

Jeff

With respect, you can't have visited many cemeteries on the Western Front if you have never seen a shared headstone. They are too numerous to list all of them but Heilly Station merits a special mention as many of the graves have THREE names on the headstone.

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter, you are quite right I've only ever visited a hand full of cemeteries. Most of my research is done on line for family ,friends or local societies.I'd just not come across a head stone with more than one name before. Still if you don't ask you don't learn. Regards Jeff Ward.

Hi Jeff. The most names I've seen on one headstone is 6 in Menin Road South Military Cemetery.

The most I've seen recorded on one stone (but not individually named) is 30 in Irish House Cemetery.

Hi Jeff. The most names I've seen on one headstone is 6 in Menin Road South Military Cemetery.

The most I've seen recorded on one stone (but not individually named) is 30 in Irish House Cemetery.

Interesting there are 3 Lindsay's, I wonder if they are some how related??

Regards

Bob R.