Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 or Post War

Jim Hastings

post-41701-0-62234800-1349688870_thumb.j

My mother-in-law showed me this photo yesterday believing it to be her father. However, this man in RF whereas I know her father was in the Queens in WW2 and this looks like a WW1 uniform to me, so was thinking it may be her grandfather? Just wondered what forum members think? Or is this man in a post-war uniform?

To me he looks Royal (City of London) Fusiliers, but do the patches on his arm tell anyone anything?

Appreciate any guidance

Cheers

Jim

Judging by the collar dogs, bulled badges and buttons and the slashed peak on the cap, I'd say post war and any time up to the mid 1930's or perhaps even later.

Patches on the sleeve are battalion and possibly company insignia but difficult to see what they are.

Slashed peak and collar dogs, I'd say post-war. The badges do look RF, but is it possible he's a Grenadier Guardsman? I can see what looks like patterning on the badge, but that could be reflection or something - certainly the slashed peak and cloth shoulder titles look Guards-ish.

You may well be right with Grenadier Guards there Mr B. Strangely, and it may just be the the angle the photo was taken from, but his cap badge looks a bit too pointed for GG but the collar badges look more like GG than RF.

Thank you Squirrel and Steven,

Showed the photo to my cousin in the GG and he said not GG but RF. My mother-in-law did say her father was a pre-WW2 Regular, but he has a TA medal too... But then I went from Regs to TA so nothing odd there. More digging methinks!!

Appreciate your time and effort Gents

Jim