Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible non-commemoration? Albert John Banning

SFayers

Hi folks,

I've just been reading a thread on the British Medals Forum regarding a death plaque to an Albert John Banning, attributed to a Private 24632 of the Grenadier Guards:

http://www.britishme...php?f=3&t=83550

For those who may not be able to access the link (you may have to be a BMF member), Albert is not recorded on the CWGC or SDGW (I've also checked both sources online, and nobody comes close), but from the GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 - 1921) he is recorded as having died in 1917. Could this chap be a possible non-commemoration?

Kind regards

Steve

I can only find one man called Albert John Banning. He was born 1894 in Thatcham Berkshire.

No idea if it's a clue, but his brother was killed in 1917;

BANNING, THOMAS HENRY

Rank: Private Service No: 8114 Date of Death: 09/03/1917 Age: 36 Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment 2nd Bn. Grave Reference II. D. 30. Cemetery BRAY MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Mrs. S. A. Banning, of 25, Katesgrove Lane, Reading, and the late Mr. T. Banning.

Is there a date of death on his MIC? is the person who started the post a relative and have they been advised to request his service record?

Sam

Name: BANNING, Albert J

Unit:Grenadier Guards

Number:24632

Year: 1917

Volume : G1

Page: 367

Record source: GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)

As he appears on the GRO Indexes he should be in the IFCP system awaiting CWGC/MoD acceptance. Terry or John may be able to confirm this

As Diane indicates, In From the Cold Project volunteers checked the full GRO list against CWGC. It has been the major part of our work.

Regrettably, the volunteer who checked this batch seems to have missed Banning. We'll now get the death certificate and progress the matter with CWGC/MoD.

By the by, Terry tells me that the inattentive volunteer in this case was some bloke called Hartley.

Slinks away, most sheepishly............

Thanks for the feedback folks. The poster on the BMF had recently purchased both plaques to Albert and Thomas Banning.

Many thanks for following this chap up John - it would be good to see Albert commemorated appropriately.

Kind regards

Steve

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies for not replying sooner Alan, I've only just seen your post. Thanks very much for your feedback.

Kind regards

Steve

The current position is that the National Army Museum is taking over the responsibility, from the MoD, for approving UK army cases.

They have had to recuit staff and expect to have them in place by Christmas. There will be a meeting between the NAM and CWGC in January for a full exchange of information. The new staff will have to get their feet under the table but we should be seeing cases start to come through by early spring. My understanding is the there are about 230 cases backlogged - approx. 200 from In From the Cold and another 30 from other sources.