Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Scrambled Egg" on British Caps

Khaki

I have never been able to 'read' the scrambled egg rank on the peaks of British General Officers?, can anyone explain it to me please.

thanks

khaki

Khaki,

I think the link below will give you a reasonable explanation of the use of scrambled egg. Essentially one row of intertwined oak leaf decoration for commanders/captains in the navy

and two rows for flag rank. Translated into the army two rows for general rank, I don't think majors/colonels wear any (but please correct me if I am wrong).

Correction - link didn't work, Google British officers scrambled egg caps.

Thanks Guys,

There is a well known, photograph of maybe eight or ten officers, including I think Plumer, Haig etc I am sure that one of the group was General Byng and that he wasn't wearing any leaves on his cap.

regards

khaki

Thanks Guys,

There is a well known, photograph of maybe eight or ten officers, including I think Plumer, Haig etc I am sure that one of the group was General Byng and that he wasn't wearing any leaves on his cap.

regards

khaki

I was in error, I found the photograph again, taken on a set of steps somewhere. Haig, front & center, Plumer. Rawlinson, Birdwood do not appear to be wearing oakleaves.possibly others too, however as those three were of General rank I was surprised that they were not.

khaki