Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

This old THEN picture demonstrates the strategic position, overviewing the German landscape in the Rhine valley. It also shows the old graves.

post-80-0-40132700-1350658280_thumb.jpg

Egbert,

As usual, I am quietly following your thread and I liked Jager memorial. Until you pointed it out, I hadn't realised that it was the same oak tree "then and now".

Keep them coming please.

Phil

Hello Egbert,

Wonderful 'tour' worthy of a book, I enjoyed every bit of it.

Interesting old photo's #181, #182, #185 showing trophy of arms at the top of the 'Jager Memorial Cairn' the one on the right appears to be French, based on the hooked quillion.

regards

khaki

Ok Phil, I am glad you liked it. Jäger memorial indeed is a very special place . A peaceful atmosphere surrounds this place, paired with the stunning views down in the plain of River Rhein.

Leaving Jäger-memorial, I took a snapshot from 900m alt. of Chateau Ollweiler. Zoomed photo, so do not think it is that near as it appears. Schloss Ollweiler was destroyed December 1915 by French artillery and rebuilt in 1926.

post-80-0-31990800-1350744147_thumb.jpg

khaki, interesting observation, I did not think about french rifles, but makes perfect sense.

This THEN photo shows Schloss/Chateau Ollweiler already destructed with mighty HWK in background. I shot the modern photo from some 50m below summit.

post-80-0-44750000-1350749336_thumb.jpg

Heavy trench mortar warfare was introduced at HWK in 1915 and was the most effective artillery with lines so close together. This heavy Minenwerfer (Minenwerfer is German for = trench mortar) position is called "Weser".

A vivid reminder of the murderous Minenwerfer battles is this base plate, seen here while on my way up to summit

post-80-0-68330900-1350750776_thumb.jpg

This one is interesting. What is it? I even do not find the correct German word for it, But maybe someone knows a fitting word in English language. You see these iron , let me say, hinges. They are part of a system to transport heavy goods inside this gallery. Yes maybe it is called a "manual" ropeway or so.

post-80-0-33435000-1350751345_thumb.jpg