Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Appr same location a little bit to the left, combat trench, view to wards Rhein plain and the village of Jungholtz (left)

THEN

post-80-0-64527000-1412592723_thumb.jpg

That's remarkably similar to the postcard I sent you! ;)

Very interesting photos: thank you.

That's remarkably similar to the postcard I sent you! ;)

Very interesting photos: thank you.

I remember Gwyn, but this one is one of the 800 from Louis' HWK collection. It shows Mariannengraben (-trench) which starts at Annastollen(-gallery) and lead directly to French post#10 (opposite Emmagraben(-trench) ). Hope this will not confuse anybody. :hypocrite:

I am not so sure whether the German soldiers in this look-out 1916 already used English language terms like this maternal love labelling

post-80-0-38754600-1412612438_thumb.jpg

Thanks for uploading the continuation of your visit. A truly fascinating place to visit.

This is one of the highlights of visiting the forum on a daily basis. Not many members leave comments here but there is a rather large following. Just remarkable and a thread I hope will go for another 41 pages.

Cheers Andy.

Not many members leave comments here but there is a rather large following.

Cheers Andy.

There's not much that anyone can add to one of Egbert's pictorial threads :thumbsup: you just go with the flow, and enjoy.

Regards,

Sean.

A formidable subterranean and surface fortification system just a few meters from HWK summit (right) with unsurpassed views down into the Rhine River plain, Black forest in the background

NOW

post-80-0-11413400-1412950017_thumb.jpg

A stitched panorama picture from Bh, looking East into the German plains. This might help you understand why this mountain was so vital for Germany to defend

post-80-0-54340600-1412950528_thumb.jpg

I have enjoyed the last set of photos: thanks. The modern b&w one is very effective. Was that taken by your friend?

This postcard may complement your images which show the view from HWK. This card shows HWK, Sudelkopf and the others from the plain, near Cernay. The Rhine is behind the artist. (Ballon de Guebwiller = Grand Ballon.) It was posted in 1916.

post-16-0-37490800-1412960452_thumb.jpg

Card from my collection.

Gwyn

This card, posted in 1914, shows the southern Vosges as if viewed from the Black Forest. The +++++++ line along the summits marks the 1871 frontier. France was on the far side of it. I hope it helps to visualise that the Germans had the advantage of constructing their powerful defences and infrastructure from the west.

post-16-0-37082500-1412960939_thumb.jpg

(Approx orientation: <------- South : North ------> )

Card from my collection.

Gwyn

Gwyn, thanks for the postcards. They may very well visualise the complex terrain.

With respect to your Q about the b&w picture -it is indeed from mon ami vosgien, but when the actual photo was taken, he was not born, not even planned as it is a contemporary picture from the war. :hypocrite:

Then it's even more wonderful. It really is an evocative picture.

Gwyn

As Egbert suggested it is when you see the view back over the Rhine valley that you realise why so much battlefield engineering went on. The views are also beautiful in themselves 100 years on. Thanks Egbert.

Pete.