Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Great photos egbert. You did well to post that lot today, considering how slowwww the sites been. We're waiting, whats behind the arch then?

Sean

Thanks Sean. What lies behind the arch, a bit further up? Mighty rock formation "Unterer Rehfelsen", bitterly fought over , featured tonight

Egbert, I have my armchair booked, two cans of beer in the fridge, and a bag of popcorn. I'm ready for the next instalment of your incredible journey.

Keith

Count me in as well. I'm no experienced climber, so the more pics the better...

Roel

If you need to be an experienced climber to get to these positions, I wonder what an attack would look like. Fix bayonets and charge??

Roel :huh:

Roel I would say you need to be physical fit but it is not necessary to be an experienced climber- I am not.

The 1914/15 attacks uphill were unimaginable difficult. Yes there are contemporary pictures when they charged and counterattacked with fixed bayonets. Later the hand grenade was the steady companion. Charging uphill seemed to be a superhuman strain, but they did it and of course lost thousand of men in each single attack.

Ok guys, where am I? This image shows my path towards summit. The last pictures were taken at very left yellow dotted line, right before "Unterer Rehfelsen" (U.R.). The picture itself was taken from "Mittlerer Rehfelsen" (M.R.)-fortress. A location we will come to much later. As you can see the climb goes along U.R. and Feste (fortress) Bamberg. French attacks came from slope called "Namenloser Hang" and tried to gain access to German fortifications and lines. All attacks were repelled finally. Can you imagine how deadly the German enfilading MG fire was -U.R. could cover the valley up to image location M.R. and vice versa. Supported by Feste Bamberg and Feste Heiligenstädt. A deadly row of formidable defense positions.

post-80-0-89802700-1350056193_thumb.jpg

This is a post- war image of U.R. A mighty rock formation undermined like a Swiss cheese and as I said, bitterly fought over. Note the forest in foreground still devastated , around U.R. all moonscape.

post-80-0-46365400-1350056497_thumb.jpg

This is a 1920ish Michelin panorama photo. You can clearly see the string of fortresses left and right of U.R. . After 1915 the frontline was stabelized behind the visible ridge.

post-80-0-67013500-1350056718_thumb.jpg