Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Close up. These soldiers were all killed in action at notorious "Unterer Rehfelsen", a rock formation that is about to come soon

post-80-0-55278400-1349704449_thumb.jpg

We left the "walking" part and started the steep ascend. Netting wire everywhere that once protected the first line trenches against hand grenades and other nasty stuff thrown in by the enemy.

post-80-0-67822600-1349704966_thumb.jpg

Memorial to 4 brave soldiers from LIR 56 that were buried here, right above the bored galleries. The original plate (see below) was destroyed in the 80s by scumbags. They also threw the skeletons in the 4 winds.....

post-80-0-89135300-1349705282_thumb.jpg

This is the same place- THEN. You notice the plaque above the entrance and the memorial stone to the 4 fallen soldiers on the right side

post-80-0-17906800-1349706365_thumb.jpg

Fantastic thread Egbert. Looking forward to your future postings on it

Andy

Andy, you are the fifth interested person in this Vosges thread -congrats-that's almost a breakthrough here on GWF!

Fabuluous pics, Egbert. Like the Germans only left yesterday. Do you need to be an experienced climber to get to these places?

Roel

Excellent thread Egbert. Fascinating that, although Mother Nature has restored the area to it's former beauty, so many relics of the war still remain. My 5-day trip a few years ago barely scratched the surface. It has also prompted me to explore your two previous threads. As one of those Brits who is not solely concerned with the Somme and Ypres, I will definitely be visiting the Vosges again, for a longer period this time. Many thanks

Keith

One more, great.

Roel, for this trip here you need really good constitution and endurance, nothing for the non-exercised. The paths up sometimes are pretty steep. It is not like Alpine climbing, but yes a rather strenuous way up

Next pictures are from passing the beautifully preserved trench systems called "Lippische Schweiz". A marvel for trench enthusiasts.

post-80-0-29900700-1349788142_thumb.jpg

The Germans did know how to make a trench system! Keep em coming egbert, I cant believe how well preserved they are.

Regards

Sean.

Sean, this is for you:

(We are still in Lippische Schweiz system.)

Looking up!

post-80-0-68411200-1349790016_thumb.jpg

Thanks egbert, looks like the wifes gastronomic tour might get cut short :thumbsup:

Roel, for this trip here you need really good constitution and endurance, nothing for the non-exercised. The paths up sometimes are pretty steep. It is not like Alpine climbing, but yes a rather strenuous way up

That explains why it's all still there! :D

Roel