Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seek info on possible non-listed

Owenbenfro

Seeking information on the following, for who I have been unable to identify on CWGC ;

++ John Cecil Lewis baptized at Pembroke Dock St John in 1885 he was the son of Walter Charles & Emily Lewis nee’ Morris who mrd in late ’81 and lived at 37 Laws St, but had later moved to Meyrick St. John Cecil joined the K.S.L.I. and died of wounds received whilst in Hospital in France on the 31st March 1918. His brother Frederick Charles Lewis a member of the 2nd Welsh also died of wounds received in action in Sept 1916(I do not require any info on Frederick).

++ James Jones a civilian aged 13 yrs was aboard the HM Trawler Victoria(Fleetwood). He was one of 6 killed when the Victoria was shelled by the U-34 on the 01st Jun 1915, the other dead where D. McCarthy, D.J. Rudge, A.G. Coles, J. Stevenson and F. Slate. James Jones was placed in the wheelhouse for safekeeping unfortunately the wheelhouse received a direct hit and James was killed. Even though a civilian why is he not listed CWGC along with the rest of the 5 crew that where killed in the attack? I do not need any info on other members of the Crew)

++ Pvte James Selwood of Goodwick Pembrokeshire, officially posted missing in November 1917, the family where informed he is now officially reported as killed in action in France as of November 1918.

These are just 3 of a large number of gentleman who deserve to be recorded but appear to be missing from CWGC that I have listed in my Pembrokeshire military headstones database of over 5,000 persons who did military service between the years of 1711 upto 2010, backed by over 3,000 worldwide photo's of headstones that relate to persons in my database. (I do not touch or go near any Town/Village War Memorial), but have visited 85% of all Pembrokeshire Churchyards, Chapelyards, Cemetries and Burial Grounds, some more than twice.

I pretty sure someone can put me on the right track for the above, its just a case of finding who.

Rgds

Owen Ap Benfro

There is no John or Cecil Lewis amongst the overseas deaths list serving with the KSLI and recorded as having died in 1918.

There's a similar lack of listing for Selwood.

CWGC would now usually take the view that, without the death certificate from the listings, there is no evidence that a man died. They will usually accept the documentary evidence of a reference in surviving service papers that a man died, as these were army records.

With regard to Jones, Google turns up a newspaper report which indicates he was on board as a "pleasure trip". Only crew members would be commemorated by CWGC. By the by, I see that CWGC has Rudge's initials as "G J", not C J as your post.

Have you picked up on the answers to your previous post HERE ?

I can just add to what I said then, re James Jones, that if he was christened James Samuel G JONES (BORN 1Q 1903) he is registered as a passenger, not crew, in the Registers and Indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths of Passengers and Seamen at Sea

Registration event: death

Print Close Name: JONES, J S G

Date of death: June 1915

A look at the original page shows that the entry is in red, which signifies a passenger.

As a passenger he would not be eligible for CWGC commemoration.

CGM

It would be worth having a word with Steve John (Pembrokeshire War Memorials website) if you're stuck with these- as per your previous post asking this same question, (which I answered and you did not reply to), he has identified John Cecil Lewis and James Sellwood.

Diggler.