Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DSO MC ribbons? Thomas Needham Furnival Wilson?

impala_ood

Is this Thomas Needham Furnival Wilson of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps during his time in the MGC late 1918/early 1919?

Do you have a photo of him to compare it against?

Can you make out the medal ribbons on his chest - are they the DSO and MC?

Answers on a postcard please - or just post a reply here!

Thank you for reading...

Richard

post-93034-0-91680500-1349452028_thumb.j

my gut feeling is that he is wearing a 1914 star (a ribbon with a white central section ?? .. but could be KSA?), cant say if the other is DSO. cant see how an MC could be there

Hi Impala,

Judging by his apparent age I would say that these are more likely to be QSA and KSA--but of course I could be wrong? Can you provide an enlargement of the ribbon area?

Robert

Hello chaps

Enquiries elsewhere seemed to have weakened the case for Major Wilson - no MC ribbon - and strengthened the case for JFR Hope - please see my thread here for details http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185325&hl= You might want to add any further comment to that post.

I've tried zooming in on the ribbons, but I can't work out how to do it without the image becoming too pixalated. Doing with photos on the computer isn't my strong point unfortunately.

I'd be really interest in your thoughts on the linked thread.

Thank you!

Richard

after looking at the image i would suggest early 1918 if that fits. It would seem a little strange that none are wearing any overseas chevrons if it had been taken in later 1918... as these were quite widely worn. Very tired looking men . JFR Hope seems to have been commissioned October 1902 I think so could have a KSA medal. No photos of him in any of the KRRC chronicles I have for prewar years though (1904-1909)

Thanks Battiscombe hearing other peoples thoughts is helping me get a feel for the context. Hope seems a strong contender. If you have interest in KRRC do you have any way of checking which battalion KRRC hope was in? I'm trying to work out when he would have first gone to France and whether he would have been entitled to the 1914 star which seems to have quite a bold white central portion, which could account for the white looking ribbon on the right. Someone else mentioned lack of overseas chevrons as pointing toward early '18.

You're right, these men do look tired and flat. Somehow I might expect them to look a little more... well, cheerful if the war was over. When I get hold of a copy of the 57th Bn war diary maybe I will find some clues in there. .

JFR Hope seems to have been made adjutant of the 11th Bn KRRC in Sept 1914 - having been mobilised and promoted in Sept.they went to France 21/22 July 1915 - and that appears on his medal card. In the 1918 KRRC Chronicle he is listed as t/LtCol DSO, having a 'mention in despatches'. could be him as a unit commander with DSO and KSA - I would still go with early 1918. he had been commanding 11th KRRC in May 1917... and had moved on by 1918 . other later Army Lists for 1917 1918 may help ..

I've added some 1915 and 1916 11/KRRC info on GFR Hope to the other thread :)

Cheers,

Mark

Battiscombe - thank you!

All - Any further comments re the identity of this officer and JFR Hope please add them to my thread here - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185325&hl= - time to try and get it all in one place. The linked thread is up to date and has some additional info.

Regards

Richard

According to Officer's Services for the Boer War 1899-1902 there is no officer matching TNFW, so apparently he has no medal entitlement for that war. He could not have been awarded the DSO and KSA because this is an impossible combination. The KSA is never awarded without the QSA, however the QSA can be awarded without the KSA.

Sorry that this is not very helpful, but I suppose the photo could be him with DSO, MC, but you need to find a named copy of the photo to confirm this.

Robert

Hello Old Owl thank you for the update. Is John Frederic Roundel Hope (JFR Hope) mentioned in Officer's Services for the Boer War 1899-1902? I suspect not. Sorry, I'm not sure where to find that information. Any further updates to go here please http://1914-1918.inv...opic=185325&hl=

Hello Old Owl thank you for the update. Is John Frederic Roundel Hope (JFR Hope) mentioned in Officer's Services for the Boer War 1899-1902? I suspect not. Sorry, I'm not sure where to find that information. Any further updates to go here please http://1914-1918.inv...opic=185325&hl=

Hope was not commissioned into the 60th until Oct 1902 so highly unlikely.

Cheers,

Mark