Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

who were the other 4

andy 1

my local archivist for the lincolnshire regiment says that on the 1-7-16 the battle of the somme,there where 5 other ranks killed from the 1st btn lincolnshire regiment.

my relative being one of them,i was wondering if anybody knows who the other 4 were.

thanks

andy

Andy,

9 from SDGW, born/enlisted/residence where given

16020 Herbet Henry BECK Boston/Boston/Swineshead

16149 William BROCKLESBY Gainsborough/Gainsborough/-

10529 Arthur FELL Balderton/Newark/Balderton

6563 George FLESHBOURNE Grimsby/Grimsby/- (and I'm reminded I have to send you a birth cert)

10144 Albert Edward JACKLIN Dalby/Alford/Spilsby

15294 Sidney JOHNSON Gainsborough/Scunthorpe/Scotter

863 William KEY Stafford/West Bromwich/Tipton, Staffs

12296 Herbert LONGFORD Spalding/Boston/-

15306 George MAPLETHORPE Tattershall Br/Sleaford/Tattershall Br

Jock

thanks for the reply jock,most interesting.

you don't happen to know what these men were up to on this day do you.its just that the casualty list for the 1st bn is so low,when you think of the thousands killed on this day in 1916.

regards

andy

Accoording to Soldiers Died:

(01/07/1916, LINCS 1ST BN)

BECK, H.H.

BROCKLESBY, W.

FELL, A.

FLESHBOURNE, G.

JACKLIN, A.E.

JOHNSON, S.

KEY, W.

LONGFORD, H.

MAPLETHORPE, G.

Regards,

Marco

thanks again marco.

can i ask where you got this info from,also by carrying parties do you mean carrying ammo and the like.

regards

andy

gwgc site says herbert longford was killed on the 3-7-16.and a e jacklin was 2bn.

but cwgc aren't always right.

my relative george fleshbourne's death is recorded as the 9-7-16 on the cwgc site.

yet everything else including his death certificate says he was killed on the 1-7-16.

andy

Hello Andy,

Meaulte is near Fricourt on the Somme:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~aur/Cemeteries/MEAULTEMC.htm

The info comes from:

Westlake, R. BRITISH BATTALIONS ON THE SOMME. 1994, 310 pages, 24x16 cm., Leo Cooper.

They provided carrying parties up to Fricourt. Yep, ammo and not to forget the Rum!

I must admit that I have some difficulty weather 'later' should be interpretid as 'later during 1/7/16' or 'later' meaning 'on 3/7/16' when the next entry for their movements is.

There were involved in heavy fighting on 3/7/16 (losses 243 OR) and were taken out of the line 4/7 and did not end up in reserve again (Mametz Wood) untill 11/7.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Marco

Hello Andy,

1/7/16 fits with the fact that your relative is registred als being KIA, which he would be if killed during a carrying duty. The only soldier of the 1st BN Lincs that died on 9/7/16 (George HIGH) is registred als Died of Wounds. This fits with the movements given. High was most likely wounded during the attack of 3/7/16 and died while the rest of the Bn was on the move to Mametz Wood.

Regards,

Marco

thanks marco.

just had a look at your website,most impressive.

thanks

andy

if anyone else has any info on these men or the 1st bn lincolns on this day i would be most pleased to read it.

andy

• 15 years later...

Hi, just doing a search on Herbert Beck for a friend when I came upon this thread. My friend, who lives in Boston, is related to Herbert - her great grandfather is Herbert’s brother. Her great grandfather is William Friedrick Beck who died in 1917 with the 10th Grimsby Chums.  7 brothers served in WW1 of which 2 lost their lives. Thanks for the info as it adds another bit of information to pass on.

bryan

Got a copy of a photo of Herbert Henry Beck from my friend which I’ve attached. My question is; he is wearing a Lincolnshire cap badge but is the shoulder title LINCOLN, it appears more like STAFFORD? 

529851A3-528E-45F9-98C9-F47BB9E45E4B.jpeg

4 hours ago, advsmt said:

it appears more like STAFFORD? 

I think it could read Lincoln, allowing for misleading reflections and poor quality photo. Looking at other Lincoln photos the title is about the right size.

(but await an expert)

Charlie

I think you are right, no reason think I can think of why it would be a Stafford title.

thanks

Bryan