Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 record for John Johns RFA number 1043243

Guest richreynolds

Guest richreynolds

This is my 1st post so please bear with me.

I am trying to track my grandads war record, I'm a member of Ancestry.com and have tried

the military index but did not have any luck

I know he was in France during WW1

according to his marriage certificate dated 1922 this is the info from it

Name John Johns or (John John)

Rank Driver RFA number 1043243

Can anybody help to where I can find any places for info on his military record

Thanks inadvace

Richard

Hi Richard i am wondering is the 1043243 number too long for a 14/18 one it could be from 1920 on. Below is link to the only RFA match i can find John Joseph Johns.742028 and formerly 244 looks to have been a territorial force man. If your man was still serving in 22 he probably would have been renumbered. If he did continue to serve there is a good chance of the MOD having his records still.john

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=j&gsln=johns&gskw=rfa&uidh=ajh&rank=1&pcat=39&h=5551808&recoff=9+10+22&db=MedalRolls&indiv=1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, Do you have his service medals? His service number should be on the back of the 14/18 star. My great grandfather was also a RFA driver and I got his from that.

1043243 number too long for a 14/18 one it could be from 1920 on.

Certainly from after 1920 or so as its a 7 digit number, any earlier and it would be 6 digits or less.

Hi Richard

Read this from National Archives- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britisharmysoldierafter1913.htm

As you scroll down, read the part of soldiers after 1920- you will need to apply to MOD for his service record as discussed. Dont ask for a summary, ask for the full record.

regards

Robert