Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Off the beaten track in ypres

garfyboy

Sadly, as explained, I only saw part of the site - but I will be back. Thanks Chris for the heads up. I certainly had no idea that public access was now possible

Keith

I am due to visit over Armistice weekend I assume that there is ample signage as to where is accessible and where is not?

No signage whatsoever! Just walk into the wood down the public access lane. Take third left track and it will lead you to the old 15 front line. First you will come across a German bunker which is very possible on the site of the German firing dugout which along with the British mine created the figure 8 crater. Walk over or through this and you arrive at a mine crater belt containing several craters. Built into the largest crater is the famous 1917 bunker often photographed which I don't have unfortunately. In the immediate area are many collapsed bunkers and disturbed original battlefield.

Then walk around the peremiter of the wood and you will pass more some excellent crown holes and remains of bunkers. I remember walking this site 6 years ago I came across toffee apples, Livens projector cylinders and stick grenades. Last year the foresters cut a new access track up to the bunker crater. I have not visited for over a year now so that period remains for me unknown

Enjoy your visit guys. If you wish to visit original and un-enhanced battlefield away from the masses, this is the best you will get along with Bellawarde Wood alongside the farm in the Salient today.

Chris , Thanks for that piece of information I look forward to visiting the area, I wonder if this is near what was "Macdonalds Farm"?

Just a couple of images - one showing the entrance to the bunker that is in a crater, and one showing its roof from another angle.

Keith

IMGP0369.jpg

IMGP0372.jpg

Excellent shots Keith! I know Iain McHenry has a wartime shot of this particular bunker complete with German soldiers milling around the entrance so this being the case, I hope Iain or somebody else will pop up and upload said image?

There is much evidence of the Great War here, just watch your step especially amongst the brambles!

Photos of the German command post Zandvoorde:

post-66620-0-60078000-1349300794_thumb.j post-66620-0-65470200-1349300796_thumb.j post-66620-0-71298800-1349300798_thumb.j post-66620-0-96038600-1349300804_thumb.j post-66620-0-74760100-1349300800_thumb.j post-66620-0-82723100-1349300802_thumb.j

what a great picture can you give me directions to this bunker planning on visiting in in 2013 Thanks

My pleasure. Find Zandvoorde in Zonnebeke, Belgium using Google or GPS and the bunker is 500 m SE by road. You can see my tracks (in blue) as we walked around it and up on the western side. Enjoy, Bill

post-66620-0-58608400-1350701564_thumb.j

Is it possible to enter the woods from the Hill 62 museum area ?

MIck

Unfortunately not Mick.

You can enter the wood either opposite the Hooge Crater Hotel on the Menin Road or you can enter via the same track on the opposite side of the wood via Green Jacket Ride.

Chris

But then again on second thoughts, you can by parking your coach/car near the museum itself and then walk up the hill to the Canadian memorial. A foot path runs along the left hand side and exits onto the road listed on British trench maps as "Green Jacket Ride" On meeting this road turn left. Be careful here as the road today is fast and there are no pavements/cycle tracks etc. Walk approximately half a mile until you arrive at a farm on your left hand side.

On the far side of the farm you will pick up the track/public access path. Walk across the fields and into the wood.

*If you keep walking you will exit the wood and and eventually arrive at the only other access point opposite Hooge Crater hotel. It is in the woods on on your hand side as you walk that contain the crater belt, bunkers and crown holes amongst the undergrowth. Take care as the ground in parts is very disturbed and full of holes.

If you wish to walk actual still unrecovered battlefield with just your own company and your own thoughts in Ypres today, you will have to look hard to find isolated areas such as this. Only a few remain today.

Chris

Thanks for the directions I will add it to the list to see and punch it into my Tom Tom

Cheers

Rick

I am tracing my great uncle and visiting Belgium next week. (2nd batten. KOYLI)

Please does anyone have a tench map 12 for Nieuport I am looking for the following reference where my great uncle was found in 1919 and reburied at Ramscappelle road

I would explain that Private T Lund was previously buried in map reference 12.M.23.c.99 before being reburied in Ramscappelle Road Military Cemetery in August 1919.The rest of the casualties on your list were previously buried in Nieuport Military Cemetery until October 1923.

I am tracing my great uncle and visiting Belgium next week. (2nd batten. KOYLI)

Please does anyone have a tench map 12 for Nieuport I am looking for the following reference where my great uncle was found in 1919 and reburied at Ramscappelle road

I would explain that Private T Lund was previously buried in map reference 12.M.23.c.99 before being reburied in Ramscappelle Road Military Cemetery in August 1919.The rest of the casualties on your list were previously buried in Nieuport Military Cemetery until October 1923.

You would do better to start a new thread in the maps section. Far more likely to get help.

Keith

• 3 months later...

Thanks to Chris Lock for the information regarding Sanctuary Wood German front line mine craters/bunkers/crown holes.

Walked the wood yesterday morning and had Linesman with me. A great experience to walk an unrecovered battlefield with nobody else around.

• 11 months later...

Hi

I have just come across this thread and I am particularly interested in having a walk through Sanctuary Wood and finding the bunkers mentioned above. From the description of the public access entrance from main road I have looked on google earth and it looks like 100m east of the Hooge hotel there is a right turn off the main road which looks like a farm track. This is shown on google earth as "menenstraat", about 300m down the track the road bends sharply to the right - that is where I think the public access entrance to the woods looks like - could anyone confirm this ?

Can anyone advise how far the walk is to the bunkers when you enter the wood ?

Thanks

Matt

That is the public access road but I couldn't find the bunkers when I tried, the vegetation was really high and it was at the end of a long day.

Mick