Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sussex Yeomanry headgear

nimrod1897

I have a photo of a group of Sussex Yeomanry troopers in first world war style khaki uniforms (sorry I don't have the technology to upload a copy of this) taken at Crowborough Camp in Sussex. The 3/1st were there c.1916/17, so I assume it is them - this unit never served overseas, but a few of the men are wearing helmets similar to pith helmets, which look like they would be for tropical or desert use. Why, and was this standard issue for this unit in the UK? Any info gratefully received.

The role of the third line was to supply drafts for the first and second lines. 1/1st Sussex Yeomanry were in Egypt in 1916, so I'd speculate that these men could be about to be sent out to the first line.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. I came upon this thread after googling the unit, and realised I joined here some years back when I had less time to research. Thanks also Gavin I wasn't aware of the role of the 3rd line, - By the way as they were disbanded in Jan 1917 and the 16th (SussYeo) Bn the R Suss R was formed on Jan 3rd 1917, I assume they effectively merged into and became part of the 1st line. Is that the case ?

I just recently got the bit between my teeth so to speak researching and building my family tree, and particulary want to find out info on my granfather who served in Egypt with the Sussex Yeomanry. I'm trying to narrow down exactly what he did out there. It's a real pity you can't upload that photo. Does it contain one of your relatives? Perhaps they knew each other! He could even be in that picture hehehe. My GF also had 2 brothers who also served in the GW one I believe with the Royal Sussex Regiment, the other not sure where, but he came back shellshocked and died soon after. I have so little info on them both I'm trying to piece info together bit by bit, so if you happen know anything that might be of help it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps we can help each other. I can't seem to be able to Private Msg anyone though.

Regards,

Stu.

I have a photo of a group of Sussex Yeomanry troopers in first world war style khaki uniforms (sorry I don't have the technology to upload a copy of this) taken at Crowborough Camp in Sussex. The 3/1st were there c.1916/17, so I assume it is them - this unit never served overseas, but a few of the men are wearing helmets similar to pith helmets, which look like they would be for tropical or desert use. Why, and was this standard issue for this unit in the UK? Any info gratefully received.

As Gavin says the 3rd line supplied drafts. I know of another Yeomanry unit that was equipped with "new rifles,sun helmets, drill clothing, fresh saddlery and transport harness" just prior to departing for Egypt. You could probably date the photo fairly accurately.

Scott

Hi Stu,

Not sure where you are located in the UK or wherever, but did you know there is a display of the Sussex Yeomanry at Newhaven Fort? There are displays and photos from the GW period. Might be worth a call to see what they have in archives / 'stored around the back' ? Also PM Nick Ward on the Forum (think you have to do 5 posts first and it looks like you've got that covered) - he knows a lot about 16th RSR.

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim !

Sorry was unable to respond sooner - forum was down or something. Thanks for that, I see now I can pm people after the fifth post hehe. I didn't know that about the fort. I'm in west London, I've never had the chance to visit Sussex. I must sometime as I have many, (all be it deceased) ancestors from all over Sussex especially Lewes. I'll give your suggestions a go. Hope u don't mind if I pm you too :)

All the best,

Stu.

PM'd you back Stu, you'll have a red indicator on the envelope at the very top of the page to let you know when someone has responded, just in case you didn't know.

Hope it helps mate

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I came upon this thread after googling the unit, and realised I joined here some years back when I had less time to research. Thanks also Gavin I wasn't aware of the role of the 3rd line, - By the way as they were disbanded in Jan 1917 and the 16th (SussYeo) Bn the R Suss R was formed on Jan 3rd 1917, I assume they effectively merged into and became part of the 1st line. Is that the case ?

I just recently got the bit between my teeth so to speak researching and building my family tree, and particulary want to find out info on my granfather who served in Egypt with the Sussex Yeomanry. I'm trying to narrow down exactly what he did out there. It's a real pity you can't upload that photo. Does it contain one of your relatives? Perhaps they knew each other! He could even be in that picture hehehe. My GF also had 2 brothers who also served in the GW one I believe with the Royal Sussex Regiment, the other not sure where, but he came back shellshocked and died soon after. I have so little info on them both I'm trying to piece info together bit by bit, so if you happen know anything that might be of help it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps we can help each other. I can't seem to be able to Private Msg anyone though.

Regards,

Stu.

Hi Stu,

My Dad, Henry John Allcroft joined the Sussex Yeomanry in 1916 and was with the 16th Battalion all through their actions in Palestine and then was transported across the Mediterranen to Marseilles then by trian up to the Western Front. He was finally removed from the fighting after he was wounded during action at Haute Allaines, near Peronne, on 3rd September 1918.

If you are looking for details of the 16th Royal Sussex as they became known you need to get your library to order you this book:-

'The Sussex Yeomanry and 16th (Sussex Yeomanry) Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment 1914 - 1919

written by

Lieut-Col H.I.Powell-Edwards D.S.O.

published by

Andrew Melrose, Ltd.

The rear of this book has a nominal roll of all who served with the Battalion. It has my Dad's w.i.a. listed on 3rd Sept.

I have also just this weekend returned from Chichester where, in the Cathedral, there is a memorial chapel to all the battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment and one specifically for the 16th/17th Royal Sussex complete with their Yeomanry badge.

In the floor at the foot of this memorial is a brass plate in memory of Lieut-Col Edwards mentioned above.

I have most of my Dad's service records so any link or help I may be able to offer is yours for the asking.

Best wishes AL