Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rumpler C explosion at Wulpen, 21 april 1918

Niko

"On 21st April 1918, Lieutenant Charles Robert Reeves Hickey shot down a two-seater hostile Rumpler C aeroplane at Wulpen. He landed alongside to prevent the pilot from burning the machine and was burnt when the enemy aeroplane blew up as a result of a timed infernal machine, killing several bystanders."

This text above is all I could find about an explosion at Wulpen, near Nieuport. In this explosion, several people got wounded or killed, including at least 4 Belgian artillerymen from a nearby AA position.

I was wondering if there is anyone who can give me more information on this incident, as Lieutenant Hickey was also wounded. I am also searching for possible pictures of the crashed plane and wondered if the German crew escaped and if they are known by name.

Any help is more than welcome!

Thanks,

Niko.

Interesting - the RFC/RAF were issuing special demolition bombs for use on aircraft engines from the beginning of 1918. They had a pull cord which lit a short fuse and the instruction "pull cord and run". Also used later as scuttling charges on tanks. I wonder who got the idea from whom?