Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Flag Captured at Mwanza 13.7.1916 - A Challenge.....

bickerton16/625

Folks,

The attached links show a German flag which I unearthed whilst clearing out my late uncles house in Edinburgh. I have no idea how it came to be in his possession and its all the more curious as all of that side of the family were navy types.

The flag is in good condition for its age and the colours remain bright and sharp with only one or two spots that are thin and worn. it is fascinating and frustrating in equal measures as there is some writing along one edge which gives some idea of its provenance but try as I might I have never been able to decipher it all.

That is where I hope the Forum folk can fill in the missing words, as it were - maybe someone who knows much more about the conflict in Africa than I do can piece it together.

For what its worth, this is what I think the wording says:

The first bit is pretty clear - "Mwanza G E Africa 13th July 1916" This tallies with the historical record for the capture of the town.

Its the rest that is the mystery, it may read...

RJA Th**miller (or millen)

Major Forth? RGA

serving with Uganda? Machine? ********* (I cant even guess at the last word)

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/riverman2767/MwanzaGermanFlag.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/riverman2767/MwanzaGermanFlag2.jpg

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me decipher this and perhaps give me some pointers as to the campaign and participants that the flag represents.

Best Regards

Duncan

Duncan

I think you'll find it says...

R.J.A. MacMillan

Major Forth R.G.A.

serving? with Uganda Medical Service

His Medal Index Card at NA shows christian names as Robert James Alan......

Medal card of MacMillan, Robert James Alan

Corps Regiment No Rank

Uganda Medical Service Captain

Royal Garrison Artillery Captain

Royal Garrison Artillery Major

Ref. WO 372/13/54487

Regards

Steve

Well, that mystery didnt prove very challenging!!

Steve - many thanks for deciphering that, its amazing how a fresh pairs of eyes can make all the difference - I've looked at that name hundreds of times but could only see Th where you saw M.

Could you please give me some pointers as to where I could find out more about the campaign in and around Mwanza?

of course, one mystery remains and probably always will - how did my uncle come by the flag..... I dont think we'll ever know now

all the best

Duncan

Duncan

Greetings.

Take a glance at this article: http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/198201.html

I guess that your uncle served in the Royal Navy Flotilla that sailed on Lake Victoria. It was a collection of civilian ferry boats armed with various weapons sent up the railway line from Mombasa.

If you look in the May 1921 edition of The Naval Review (Vol IX No 2) and go to page 287 you will see a very interesting article on Royal Navy operations on Lake Victoria.

(An internet search will throw up the archived copies of The Naval Review.)

Harry

Duncan

You're probably correct in that you may never know how your uncle came by the flag but you never know.

R. J. A. Macmillan had an Edinburgh connection having been a Lieutenant in the 1st Edinburgh Volunteers, Royal Garrison Artillery when it became the Forth and Clyde Royal Garrison Artillery in 1908 as part of the Territorial Force formation so maybe a background check will turn something up.

Another Edinburgh connection could be through Harold Beckwith Towse, who I know is commemorated on an Edinburgh memorial. He was a Lieutenant-Colonel in command of one of the columns which captured Mwanza so again a background check may throw something up.

A third possibilty would be through a direct family member? You say that particular branch were all navy types, did any of them serve in East Africa? The Navy were heavily involved in operations against Mwanza, it being a major port on Lake Victoria Nyanza and the Royal Navy operated a Lake Flotilla which could be a link?

The only significant detail I can find on the Mwanza operations is in Volume 1 (the only volume) of the Official History of Operations in East Africa but for an overview of the situation in East Africa at the time then Lieutenant-General J. C. Smut's Despatch here....http://www.london-ga...supplements/687 is as good a starting point as any, Mwanza is covered on pages 693 & 694.

Hope this helps and good hunting, I hope you find the link....

Regards

Steve

Harry & Steve,

Many thanks for opening up a number of leads for me - I'll follow them up in the next few weeks - (damn work - it really cuts into ones research time..)

Unfortunately, that branch of the family is no more so theres no-one to ask about a family connection - the naval side were all Morrisons not Macmillans but he may have been a family friend. I do have the family trees for the Morrisons so might be able to find something out with a bit of diligent digging.

Thanks again, gents