Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proven Aerodrome: Exact Location

yoasties

It is known that Proven Airfield/Proven Aerodrome was along the N308. This road can easily bee seen on Gmaps or Bing.

Does anybody know the exact location?

SQN 7 and SQN 9 flew reconnaisance from there.

There is a picture of Proven Aerodrome in http://www.airpowerstudies.co.uk/APR%20Vol%207%20No%203.pdf

I suspect is was close to the Meninghem Cemetery (50.899934 , 2.638714) but Proven Aerodrome may have been before Proven (when driving from Poperinge).

I am just hoping that someone knows.

Thanks.

Y

I have found the location of Proven Aerodrome with the kind help of Proven citizen I. Top.

It was not close to the Cemetery (North of Proven), but just south of Proven.

50.884138,2.654142 (can be used with copy and paste in Bing/maps or Google (misty day)) It is just south of the Blekerijweg and just beside the Blekerijhoek.

Another fact established.

If its of any interest, the blue dots on this modern NGI map represent the locations of large hangar-style structures of the airfield as in May 1918...

Dvae

post-357-0-85265900-1349219123_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I realise this may be a bit late, but here's a 1918 map that shows the four allied aerodromes around Poperinge (including Proven), with the boundaries for each airfield and buildings as at April 1918. 

Proven.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi

I'm a little late but if any of you are still interested in the airports around Poperinge let me know. I live in Proven and have some acquaintances here who know about it.
Also I.Top what Yoasties is talking about.

Arne