Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.F. first balloon?

W.J.Caughey

Below is a quote from a page i was sent. Its a Squadron leader? writing to family about a RAF officers death in 1918 saying the below words.

"He is a great loss to my Squadron, as he had just got his first balloon and i was expecting him to do great things."

Would anyone have an idea what it means by his first balloon, is he talking about an award or something?.

Thanking you in advance.

Walter.

Hello Walter. This means that the officer had just shot down a German observation

balloon..... These were classed as a 'kill' and counted to a pilot's

overall combat score... Alan

Alan, Brillant, thank you very much for info and for quick reply.

Walter

Balloons were well protected by both AA and fighters, shooting one down was regarded as no mean feat. The US and Belgian air aces Frank Luke and Willy Coppens scored most of their victories against balloons. At that stage in the War the Germans were using balloons copied from the French Caquot design

post-9885-0-67608800-1349101498_thumb.jp

Balloons were well protected by both AA and fighters, shooting one down was regarded as no mean feat. The US and Belgian air aces Frank Luke and Willy Coppens scored most of their victories against balloons. At that stage in the War the Germans were using balloons copied from the French Caquot design

post-9885-0-67608800-1349101498_thumb.jp

centurion, fascinating info, Frank Luke rings a bell with me.

Many thanks

Walter