Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42nd AT Company, Royal Engineers

hen190782

Yes, the Army Troop Company was a 'variety' or specific type of formation of the Royal Engineers, under the Army HQ command.

Cheers, S>S

42 Fortress Company (later Army Troops Company) was one of two such units (the other was 20 Co) which accompanied the original BEF in August 1914, when they were with GHQ Troops.

Ron

• 3 months later...

Well off topic I'm afraid,

but does anyone know anything about this unit in February 1922?

My reason for asking is that next to the nine drivers and gunners who drowned on 4th Feb 1922 (see http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62331)

there is a Sapper from this unit who died on the same day.

Years ago I was in touch with the RE about this to see if there was any connection, but I drew a blank on that occasion

Thanks in advance

Michael

Can anyone tell me what Prov Coy stands for. I have father and son, coal miners in Derbyshire who joined up together 3rd September 1915 and arrived in France with the 3rd Prov Coy Royal Engineers on the 14th September 1915. They obviuosly had little or no training before joining the BEF in France. Both were discharged and awarded the SWB. If anyone knows what this uniti did I'd be most grateful. Doc Disney

Helen

3rd Provisional Company was at Chatham and was a holding and drafting company. They received recruits and administered them until they were posted out. The company did not go abroad.

TR

Thanks for explaining what 3rd Prov Coy was. Is there any way of finding out what units they were assigned to as both father & son ( Samuel DISNEY & Samuel Thomas DISNEY) recieved the 1915 Star, War & Victory medals plus the SWB so must have served abroad. Samuel senior was discharged at the age of 51 suffering from shell shock. All the documents I've located so far record 3rd Prov Coy as their unit. Both were coal miners in Derbyshire.