Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Hamphire war diary missing pages ?

BG2012

I am trying to write a diary / account for Pte 8581 Alfred Goddard's time in the 2nd Hampshire Regiment as I cannot find his service record. I have downloaded the war diary but there seems to be pages missing 1st of June - 8th June which is typical as Alfred was wounded on the 5th ! I cannot find any more info until his discharge date in 1918

Can I found out the missing war diary info anywhere else ?

War diary Ref WO/95/4312 image 466

Thanks

From Westlake’s ‘British Regiments at Gallipoli’ pub. Leo Cooper 1996, ISBN 0 85052 511 X

JUNE

Party of 14 officers attached (1st). Took over positions to right of 88th Brigade – Fir Tree Wood (3rd). Attack on enemy trenches (4th) – ‘X’ and ‘Y’ Companies moved forward under heavy fire 11.45 am. First 2 trenches, H8 and H9 taken with some 30 prisoners. Supporting companies, ‘W’ and ‘Z’ came forward 12.15 pm. and moving through leading companies took trench H10 and south-east end of H11. Advance continued and another trench taken during afternoon. Forward area became untenable and Battalion forced to fall back to H11. Casualties – 3 officers and 25 other ranks killed, 11 officers and 34 other ranks wounded, 1 officer and 31 other ranks missing. War Diary records (6th) that no Regular Army officer remained. Battalion now under the command of Second-Lieutenant G R D Moore of 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, aged 18 years. Enemy counter attacked about 3 am (6th)

Thanks for the info Michaeldr, Alfred may have been in Y company as his medal card date is the 25th April and I understand Y company landed first ?

There may well be a copy at the regimental museum in Winchester.

Keith

Although I am primarily a student of the Huns, I have worked with Brit war diaries. Studying major German flamethrower attacks, which I was interested in, I found that these very interesting engagements barely described in the War diaries, which puzzled me, until I realized it probably was due to there being hardly any officers left to write the war diary for such a disasterous day. This may have happened in your case; note the officer casualties.