Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st B'ham city / Royal Warwickshire battalion?

philster

Hello,

Attached is a picture I found of my grandfather's. It's on a postcard marked on the back 2257 Townwall studio Dover.

From this topic (http://1914-1918.inv...pic=153445&st=0) I think it is the 1st B'ham city. It's definitely the Royal Warwicks because I can see the cap badge in the high res version I have. Also, the man second row from front, far rightt (sitting) is (I think) Pte CL Perkins as in the above link.

Originally, I thought my grandfather was in this, but in fact he isn't because he was in the RGA and not the R Warwickshire Reg, but his only brother was. Therefore, the man at the back 3rd from left (standing) must be John Charles Bell my great uncle.

If anyone has any more info on this pic that would be great. I think the year might be 1916.

Thanks,

Phil

post-92934-0-12872700-1348923801_thumb.j

Very unlikely, as none seem to be wearing the distinctive Birmingham Battalion cap badges - which has an additional scroll beneath - or the distinctive shoulder titles of the battalions. The soldier kneeling far right (with moustache) appears to have something above his shoulder title, which makes me think they could be Territorials, but there is little to suggest on the others that there are additions above the usual 'R.WARWICKSHIRE' curved title.

They could be regulars; they could also be from one of the other Service Battalions of the regiment (such as the 9th, 10th and 11th) who did not wear any distinctive metal badges.

Thanks for taking a look.

I'm only guessing on this, other than they're in the R Warwickshire Reg.I've attached higher res images of the seargeant in the centre and the soldier kneeling far right (with moustache), just in case these pictures might give a bit more info.

Thanks,

Phil

post-92934-0-84183700-1349020983_thumb.j

post-92934-0-31351900-1349021001_thumb.j

The Royal Warwicks had a unit known as the Dover Garrison Battalion. Which was th 3rd (Reserve) Battalion. It moved their from the Isle of Wight sometime in 1917

Terry