Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fleubaix Trench map and photos

Ivor

Hi,

I am curently reading the War Diary of the 2nd/5th Battalion of the King's own Royal Lancashire Regiment which my great grandfather was in. In early 1917 they were stationed at Fleubaix and I was wondering whether anyone can either PM me a copy of the trench map or post it on here, for that area with any photos taken at that time of the town.

Also, if someone could post the trench map for the Houplines trench sector at Armentieres with any associated photos.

Many thanks,

Ivor

Ivor,

I presume that the 2/5th King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) were with the 57th (Second West Lancashire) Division and there in 1917. Can't help directly with a trench map but this site at McMaster University may help you might to produce an answer if nobody produces anything directly

I think you are looking for something in Square 36 NE NW (amended - sorry, my error). If you play around with the maps site there is quite a good key. You will want a scale of 1:10000 or so

I don't think I have any photos but will post back if I find some

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley

Ivor, the McMaster map that covers this is Sheet 36 NW Armentieres 1917-10 Scale 20,000 DB 049. It is a 9 MB file if you want it emailed.

For contemporary photographs, run this query (the AWM web site holds 60 contemporary photographs): http://www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/?q=houplines&conflict=first+world+war%2C+1914-1918&submit=Search

Ivor, the McMaster map that covers this is Sheet 36 NW Armentieres 1917-10 Scale 20,000 DB 049. It is a 9 MB file if you want it emailed.

For contemporary photographs, run this query (the AWM web site holds 60 contemporary photographs): http://www.awm.gov.a...8&submit=Search

Ian & White StarLine thank you very much for your replies. I would like to take up your kind offer of the file being emailed to me.

Again, many thanks to you both