Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Club Reference Books?

militariaone

Greetings all, I wanted to enquire if any members were aware of any specific illustrated or photographic books dedicated (SOLEY) to Trench Clubs. I’m aware of Renato Finadri’s: Le Mazze Ferrate Della Prima Guerra Mondiale http://tuttostoria.i...guerra-mondiale and fellow forum member “Phil_B” mentioned (In an earlier posting) a very illusive book Circa 1920: "Trench clubs of the Great War - a Comprehensive Illustrated Guide". I possess a copy of the first book, but I have never seen the latter. Again, I’m just looking for titles for Trench Clubs only, not one or two examples shown in a WWI equipment or trench knife book.

I ask because I’m starting to move into collecting the German and Austro Hungarian variants. Specifically, the Morningstar, Cube, and Pear tipped on coiled spring/wire cable variants. Not aware of fakes of these types as of yet, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time:-( Thank you for your continued assistance, Gents.

Regards,

Lance

P.S. Here’s an interesting Trench Club thread with lots of period shots from an Italian Militaria Forum, http://www.worldwarf...hp?f=229&t=2638

Here's some of my Central Powers' variants. Still looking for some of the wire/cable types, fingers crossed.

Regards,

Lance

post-61350-0-81508800-1348875352_thumb.j

I’ve added a picture of some other titles each with small sections on Trench Clubs. Still wondering if there is any material dedicated just to Trench Knives, besides the two titles originally posted? I figured if nothing else here’s a place to share some info with my peers.

Regards,

Lance

post-61350-0-32807200-1348958315_thumb.j

No help at all regarding your request Lance, but some very nice examples you have shown there - thanks for sharing your photos.

PS. And I like your new look avatar photo - very eye-catching indeed.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Greetings S>S, I’m recently back from OEF and needed to get back into the forum/collecting. On the new avatar, I found her while doing some internet searches and immediately fell in love with her. Here’s a better shot, she looks like she’d be a real “Hoot” to hang out with.

Enjoy,

Lance

post-61350-0-66165200-1349146236_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting Gents, found this video of Austro-Hungarian Clubs today. I’m not comfortable about the originality of all of the wooden handled examples displayed, but the first four from the left look very original.

Njoy,

Lance

[media=]

[/media]

• 4 months later...

Greetings Gents,

a new title is out on Trench Clubs. As of right now it’s only available on US eBay and unfortunately at no fixed price.

Regards,

Lance

P.S. I’ve just received my copy and while I have only paged through it. It does have some really nice quality large format photos. Author also has published earlier an excellent book on Austrian Bayonets.

post-61350-0-69224700-1361910172_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

To contact the author David F. Machnicki for a copy of the book: At Arm's Length Trench Clubs and Knives contacted the author at TOTHEHILTAUSTRIANBAYONET@YAHOO.COM

Information about the book is available at http://ebayonet.com/ under the BOOKS and LITERATURE section.

Also, his book is listed on Ebay under the seller name aldaaustrian.

This is a limited edition that was printed in the United States of America. There were only 100 hardbound color copies printed. Each is author signed and numbered.