Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Holster

mark holden

I picked this holster up last week in an antique centre. I am pretty sure it is a private purchase item and from the wear marks looks like it held a revolver. It has a long strap and is worn over the shoulder. Does anyone have a thought on what make/model of revolver it might have carried. I also think that it is British made.

Thanks Mark

post-11424-0-75638400-1348861284_thumb.j

post-11424-0-30610700-1348861302_thumb.j

post-11424-0-99185800-1348861314_thumb.j

Mark,

Without any measurements, I cannot be sure, however it looks like the shoulder holster used for carrying a flare or signal pistol, which are that much bigger than a holster used used for a service revolver.

Regards,

LF

Hello Mark,

I actually think it is a revolver holster for possibly a Mk4 Webley .455, if you look at the holster you can see wear marks on the front that approximates the outline of a cylinder and the reverse appears to show wear in the spot where a cylinder holster guide would have been. The straps?, I don't know, does give it the look of a flare holster, although I did have a Boer War British holster years ago that was similar.

khaki

Thanks LF and Khaki,

The measurements from bottom to highest point of flap 23cm and sloping to the lowest point of Flap 16cm. Width at widest point 11cm. Hope this may refine my request.

Mark

Mark,

I have put together a selection of various different holsters from my Collection so as to show the differences between the Webley Mk.VI, Webley Mk.IV and the Signal/Flare Pistol holsters for comparison.

In old fashioned inches, the dimensions for the various holsters are :-

Mk.VI - from the highest corner point on the flap to the holster base - 13 inches

Widest point across top of flap - 7 inches.

Mk.IV - from the highest corner point on the flap to the holster base - 11.1/2 inches

Widest point across top of flap - 6.1/2 inches.

Signal/Flare Pistol - from the highest corner point on the flap to the holster base - 13 inches

Widest point across top of flap - 8 inches.

Also the base of the Signal/Flare is that much wider at 2.1/4 inches as compared to 1.1/2 inches for the base of the Mk.IV holster.

The photographs show a rarer Webley Mk.IV holster with a shoulder strap containing .38 calibre cartridge loops.

A Webley Mk.IV leather holster.

A Webley Mk.VI and Mk.IV holster side by side for comparison.

A Webley Mk.IV and Signal/Flare Pistol holster side by side for comparison.

The Mk.IV Webley holster with shoulder strap/bullet loops with the Webley Mk.IV Revolver.

The Signal/Flare Pistol with the Webley Mk.IV Revolver to show the comparison in size with the Mk.IV holster and revolver.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-67093300-1348951959_thumb.j

post-63666-0-87504600-1348951985_thumb.j

post-63666-0-55383600-1348952046_thumb.j

post-63666-0-39721500-1348952060_thumb.j

post-63666-0-67443900-1348952092_thumb.j

post-63666-0-57372000-1348952151_thumb.j

Do you fire a lot of .38 Special in your Webley, L.F.? :whistle:

Regards

TonyE

If he does, it's a rare pistol. They only made a couple? in that calibre and I remember them being in the auction when the revolver line closed. I bid but lost out to a wealthier person than myself.

Regards

TonyE

TonyE,

No never, they were the only .38 cartridges I had to hand for the photograph.

I use those longer .38 hollow point specials in a moden .38 revolver.

LF

Regards

TonyE

TonyE,

For the sake of accuracy, here is another photograph using the correct .38 cartridges for that .38 Webley revolver.

If I can be forgiven for straying off topic for just a second, and knowing your keen interest in ammunition and firearms, here is the source of those .38 hollow point specials, a snub nose .38 revolver and .38 hollow points, a lethal combination.

Regards,

LF

I was being facetious!

Regards

TonyE

I know :thumbsup:

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-00536600-1349011794_thumb.j

post-63666-0-26555800-1349011822_thumb.j

If he does, it's a rare pistol. They only made a couple? in that calibre and I remember them being in the auction when the revolver line closed. I bid but lost out to a wealthier person than myself.

Radlad,

It is a fine Webley, I am pleased you liked it. I have not seen another.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF,

Not on topic but is that a Taurus? I used to carry a similar looking S&W airweight, until I recently upgraded to a compact semi-auto.

regards

khaki

Many thanks for all who have helped with the identification. The holster is to small for a 4'' MKV Webley. I suspect that it is for a smaller private purchase revolver.

regards

Mark

TonyE,

For the sake of accuracy, here is another photograph using the correct .38 cartridges for that .38 Webley revolver.

If I can be forgiven for straying off topic for just a second, and knowing your keen interest in ammunition and firearms, here is the source of those .38 hollow point specials, a snub nose .38 revolver and .38 hollow points, a lethal combination.

Regards,

LF

I know :thumbsup:

Regards,

LF

Off topic I know, but here are the British military rounds suitable for use in A Webley Mark IV (although of course originally designed for the .380 Enfield)

Left to right,

Ball Mark Iz

Ball Mark I

Drill D Mark I

Drill D Mark II

WW2 Expedient drill

Inspection (althogh never formally approved)

Proof Q Mark Iz

Blank L Mark IT

Armourers headspace gauge

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-15640200-1349192328_thumb.jp

Off topic I know, but here are the British military rounds suitable for use in A Webley Mark IV (although of course originally designed for the .380 Enfield)

Left to right,

Ball Mark Iz

Ball Mark I

Drill D Mark I

Drill D Mark II

WW2 Expedient drill

Inspection (althogh never formally approved)

Proof Q Mark Iz

Blank L Mark IT

Armourers headspace gauge

Regards

TonyE

TonyE,

A superb selection, I did not know there were so many types.

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

LF

LF, does your .380 Webley serial number fall between 27000 and 27007 mayhap ?

The Cylinder, frame and barrel have all matching serial numbers, but not in that range.

I have not seen this model with the Burrwood factory fitted grips with the brass inlaid ' Webley ' named logo before.

Regards,

LF

Many thanks for all who have helped with the identification. The holster is to small for a 4'' MKV Webley. I suspect that it is for a smaller private purchase revolver.

regards

Mark

Mark,

If the base of your holster is 2 inches +, it is probably for a Signal Pistol. If the holster base is 1 inch +, then it is probably for the smaller frame revolver like the Webley Mk.III intoduced in the early 1900s ( photo attached ) which came with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-14670300-1349206016_thumb.j

LF,

The MKIII looks promising!!

thanks

Mark