Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grantowi

I suspect that they were vaccinated rather than inoculated

The fact that you "suspect", doesn't really help the conversation does it ?

If you wish to supply factual evidendce, then please do,

All of the above reports speak of inoculation, most of us take this as a means of preventing an illness

Both words are interchangable to the layman, it's only the contents of the jab, that defines the name - the end result is the same

Grant

The fact that you "suspect", doesn't really help the conversation does it ?

If you wish to supply factual evidendce, then please do,

All of the above reports speak of inoculation, most of us take this as a means of preventing an illness

Both words are interchangable to the layman, it's only the contents of the jab, that defines the name - the end result is the same

Grant

At that distance in time its impossible to be absolutely certain and not be some sort of plonker. At that date typhus was usually dealt with by vaccination and not inoculation. And no the end result isn't quite the same.

At that distance in time its impossible to be absolutely certain and not be some sort of plonker. At that date typhus was usually dealt with by vaccination and not inoculation. And no the end result isn't quite the same.

Then why keep harping on about it ?

Please explain the two diffrent end results

Grant

To vaccinate and To inoculate are the same thing and both correct in this context.

vac·ci·nate(vabreve.gifkprime.gifsschwa.gif-namacr.giftlprime.gif)

v. vac·ci·nat·ed, vac·ci·nat·ing, vac·ci·nates

v.tr.

To inoculate with a vaccine in order to produce immunity to an infectious disease, such as diphtheria or typhus.

v.intr.

To perform vaccinations or a vaccination.

in·oc·u·late

tr.v.
in·oc·u·lat·ed
in·oc·u·lat·ing
in·oc·u·lates

To introduce a serum, vaccine, or antigenic substance into (the body of a person or animal), especially to produce or boost immunity to a specific disease.

To communicate a disease to (a living organism) by transferring its causative agent into the organism.

To implant microorganisms or infectious material into (a culture medium).

To safeguard as if by inoculation; protect.

The third term often used is IMMUNISE

Verb

1. immunise - law: grant immunity from prosecution

2. immunise - perform vaccinations or produce immunity in by inoculation; "We vaccinate against scarlet fever"; "The nurse vaccinated the children in the school"

vaccinate, immunize, inoculate

Vaccination was done for smallpox, Inocculation for TAB (Typhoid). The reaction for TAB usually laid men low for a few days afterwards.

I suspect that they were vaccinated rather than inoculated

Lucy might not have known the difference but surely a senior medical officer like Nasmith would know whether he was vaccinating or inoculating men?

Pedants' corner: There are only two ns in inoculation, and I see that in my original notes I added a third (and at first I included a second c when writing this post).

Moonraker

Isn't the word vaccination related to the Latin for cow? Used because the vaccination against smallpox actually originally involved being given a dose of cowpox instead