Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Kings Liverpool

EDWARD1

I have been following the locations of a soldier in the 19KLR using the LLT site. He was wounded 5/8/16 but I cannot locate their position after 12th July (Trones Wood). I know the 19KLR were in the 89th Bgd 30thDiv IV Army until then, but where was my man when wounded.

His records state that he was admitted to the 2/2nd London CCS (55CCS) 5/8/16 but the LLT indicates that this CCS did not arrive in France until 23/8/16.He was discharged 12/8/16 "to H2 89 Bge"

To summarize what was the location of 19KLR on 5/8/16 and at which CCS and location would he have been treated.

Thanks in anticipation

Eddie

Your best source is 'Liverpool Pals' by the late Graham Maddocks. Chapter 7 starts: On 14th July the 89th Brigade moved from the Bois des Tailles to Corbie and from there to its old camp at Vaux sur Somme. ... [they then rested in preparation for the Battle of Guillemont, (the account of which spans several pages) which brought huge losses to the Pals battalions. The 19th Bn for example were left with eight sergeants and seven corporals.]

On 31st July the 30th Div was pulled out of the line and moved to the Citadel Camp south of Fricourt. On 2 Aug they entrained for Abbeville for rest and recuperation, but on 3 Aug they went to Givenchy where training, receiving new drafts and reorganisation continued.

18th Bn re-entered the line on 11 Aug and the other three Pals Bns on 26th Aug.

The book says nothing about actions during that spell out of the line, so it would be hard to pin down any incident causing your man's wounding.

I hope this helps, but others with more knowledge may contribute more. You should be able to borrow a copy of the book via inter-library loan. The publisher in 1991 was Leo Cooper, but there have been later editions by Pen & Sword.

Are you sure about 'H2 89 Bde'? Could it be 'HQ'?

D

Thank you daggers.The soldier suffered a shrapnel wound to his back on 22/5/16 then a GSW left arm 5/8/16 and was then shot 7/11/17 (accidentally) with a Lewis gun by a pal from which he died 11.11.17. Incidentally the private who shot him was subject to a GFCM and was found guilty and forfeited 28 days pay. He then went on to be awarded a MM Gazetted 29/9/18 and was KIA 8/10/18. Amazing

Eddie

Quite a story, and a very sad one among many. Was your man from Bristol?

There is a movement to erect a memorial in Liverpool to the Pal Battalions and a group are collecting information about those who served and died. Would you like that story to be passed to them?

D

As discussed on another forum, the two soldiers records survived and make fascinating (if sad) reading

daggers, he was from Bristol.Ernest Henry Dowling 17315.

Have just read a few more records. When he was wounded 27/5/16 a telegram was sent advising his next of kin of the wounding. This was incorrectly addressed and returned. Another telegram was resent 16/6/16 to the correct address which could well have been received by Ernest himself as he was on UK leave from 10/6/16 to 23/6/16.I wonder if that is a first, to receive your own wounded telegram?

As far as the story goes I assume its free for anyone to use as it is in the public domain.

Eddie