Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Batt Machine Gun Corps

jemm

Firstly can I just say thanks to all who have helped me over the last few days with my various questions. I think im actually comming to my last few ( for now ) theres approx 120 soldiers in my book so Ive' not done so bad for a novice sorting out where they possibly where when they became ill or died lol. My brother rolls his eyes when I say that :)

Ok.. so .. im quite stuck on the

29th Battalion Machine Gun Corps, Infantry died 14 04 1918

I gather from the LLT that formed 10 May 1916

left to move into 10th MG Battalion 7 May 1918

But then I have just lost the thread of where or what they did/ became.

Hi,

You are mixing 29th Company Machine Gun Company which was in the 10th Division and became part of 10th Battalion MGC

with 29th Battalion Machine Gun Corps which was part of the 29th Division and made up of 86th, 87th, 88th & 227th Machine Gun Companies.

regards

John

Oh right, so having had another look am I now on the right track...

No. 29 Battalion, MGC was formed on 15 February, 1918.

As a unit of the 29th Infantry Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.

1918 THE BATTLES OF THE LYS 10 and 11 April Battle of Estaires (less 88th Inf. Bde.) [XV. Corps, First Army]. 10 and 11 April Battle of Messines (88th Inf. Bde., with 25th Div. on 10/4, and with 34th Div., 11/4) [iX. Corps, Second Army]. 12 and 13 April Battle of Hazebrouck (less 88th Inf. Bde.) [XV. Corps, Second Army]. 13 and 14 April Battle of Bailleul (88th Bde. with 34th Div.) [iX. Corps, Second Army].

I have a copy of the battalion's war diary for April 1918. I obtained it when I researched for my book about the battle. Would you like a copy? Send me a private message containing your email address.

• 9 months later...

Hi Chris, tried to Pm you but your message box is full.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have a copy of the battalion's war diary for April 1918. I obtained it when I researched for my book about the battle. Would you like a copy? Send me a private message containing your email address.

I note that you have a copy of the 29th Battalion, Machine Gun Corp War Diary for April 1918, would you possibly have the entry for March 1918 as I would like to know where the Battalion was situated during that month.

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I came across this thread whilst looking into my grandfathers whereabouts in 1919. He was a Sergeant in the 51st Hampshire Regiment (boy soldier?), part of 88th Infantry Brigade. I saw that 29th Bn MG Corps were part of the 88th which created my curiosity.

I have some photos showing my Grandad as a Sergeant of a machine gun platoon with two Lewis? guns in the foreground and 9 men in full battle dress posed behind.

I would dearly like to know where they may have been stationed as I have another photo of him and his team with the words "Sunday at outpost Talsperre". I know Talsperre translates to Dam from German. Can you tell me which Dam?

He did not receive service medals as he was part of the Armistice/Peace keeping force. He did win two medals though for inter company cross country races and I am lucky to have those in my possession.

My grandfather was Sgt Victor A Tillyer.

The photos I have also show other soldiers in his platoon, is there a site that I could upload these to in case they may be recognised by other people? know this is an old thread but I fell Lucky.....

Kind regards

Howard Godolphin

• 1 month later...

Howard,

From detailed study of the 51/Hants summer 1919 war diary (available on Ancestry) TALSPERRE refers to what is now known as the Eschbachtalsperre (Eschbach Dam).

It is approx 2.4km NE of WERMELSKIRCHEN in North Rhine-Westphalia.

More on Wikipedia here

The war diary also mentions the KAISER WILHELM BRIDGE.  This is now known as the Müngsten Bridge (Müngstener Brücke) and crosses the River Wupper to the SE of SOLINGEN.

More on Wikipedia here

The other locations mentioned are all in the same general area centred on WERMELSKIRCHEN and can be identified fairly easily.

51/Hants were in 3 Southern Infantry Brigade in Southern Division of the Rhine Army.  This was the re-designated 88 Bde of 29th Divn.

HTH

Mark