Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo request for one of the missing at Fromelles

andrew.gillsfc

Hi

Does anyone please have a photo of Pte Percy John Greenwood (3115, AIF) who was KIA on 20 July 1916 at Fromelles (believed buried near Pheasant Wood)? Also I am after any details as to where in Tunbridge Wells he came from please as it is the same area I come from.

Thanks

Andrew

His medals were just flogged off on ebay.

He is named on the North Fremantle War Memorial which is my GWF picture. There isn't a photo of him in the newspapers of the time unfortunately nor does Roger Freeman have a picture of him in his 32nd Battalion history published just a few years ago. I have not yet uncovered a photo of him in my research on Fremantle soldiers in the Great War.

His mother Kezia died in the 1920's and his younger sister also died at a young age.

Regards

Andrew

I'm still looking for a photo of Percy also. If you happen to locate please let me know.

Currently, I'm trying to trace descendants in Australia who may fall into a correct DNA line to try and have his remains identified - I'm close! Hopefully one of these descendants still possess a photo of him. We know one was taken because the records confirm his mother sent it to the Red Cross in 1919 to help them find his body.

As for his address in England, I know the following

In 1891 the Greenwood family were living at 4 George Road, Guildford Surrey.

Between 1891 and 1893 they moved to Tunbridge Wells Kent where Percy was born.

In 1901 they were living at 43 Albert St Tunbridge Wells

In 1903 Percy's father (Henry) died.

In 1911 they were living at 4 Hill St Tunbridge Wells

In 1913 the family emigrated to Fremantle Western Australia.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Tim L.

P.S. I also saw the medals go on Ebay for a pretty steep price. A couple of us tried to obtain them to donate to the West Aust Army Museum but they went beyond our reach.

Thanks Tim. We have some photos of where he enlisted and of his name on memorials here in western australian. We have been doing research on soldiers killed at fromelles. Found where they lived in fremantle and visiting this weekend. Let me know if you would like any photos of these places. Whereabouts in australia have you found his descendants so far? Visiting tunbridge wells next year. Andrew

No Problems Andrew,

We've been involved in the Fromelles Project for quite a few years and have researched many of the men involved. So far we have located and built up a large database of descendants which satisfyingly has assisted in the identification of a number of them. In the process we've been locating photos of the identified men and have currently found 92 out of 119.

I'm really interested to know what research on the Fromelles soldiers you've been doing.

I emailed you the other day so perhaps you might like to contact me and we can chat about it some more.

Cheers,

Tim L.

P.S. - We have located two Greenwood descendants in WA and are currently working on other family links in both Freo and Sydney.

The two soldiers from fromelles ive done most research on to date are pte greenwood and pte goldby as from areas my family are from. Goldby is one of the missing but is not believed to be one of those in the mass burial pits.

Fromelles and the somme are battles i have great interest in due to staying in the areas on holiday on numerous occasions. Would be interested to find out how many more burial pits are near

pheasant wood.

Andrew