Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9499 George Atkin 2nd Sherwood Foresters - Ennetieres casualty?

Chris_Baker

Pte 9499 George Atkin joined the 2nd Sherwood Foresters on the Aisne as part of the 1st Reinforcement in late September 1914. His record is lost; his medals records say only that. He is not listed as a POW in WO161 and I can find no reference to him in the "Times" lists. I am trying to determine what happened to him on that dreadful day for the battalion, 20 October 1914 at Ennetieres when 710 men were reported missing in action.

Atkin was born in Radford (Nottingham) but lived in Birkenhead.

If anyone has ever come across his name or has him on a list anywhere I would be most grateful.

Cant see him in any of the lists covered by the Scotsman - if he is on a list he may be difficult find as casualty lists for November 1914 were being published in the Times up until the middle of January 1915.

Hi

The man who died in Birkenhead on 29.7.64 was George Henry Atkin. He was born in Radford, Nottingham and moved to Birkenhead. However he is shown on a Public Tree on Ancestry as Pte.102042 Sherwood Foresters. Separate MIC to the one Chris is looking for.

Regards Barry

There were three George Atkins in the Sherwood Foresters. One was 4560, 2nd Bn, killed 19/9/1918. Has service records.

Are we saying the other two men were both born in Radford, both moved 106 miles to birkenhead and both joined the Sherwood Foresters? It seems like a bit of a stretch?

There is an online family tree which has George Henry as 2nd battalion in 1915. It would be worth knowing why he says that, because it might rule out 102042 whose number is likely 1917 and 10th or 12 Bn.

Apologies if i'm missing something obvious.

Looking at both of these men on Ancestry, is it possible the tree manager has the 2 men confused?

There are 3 family trees detailing G H Atkin, 1 is private and the other 2 have him dying in 1964 in Birkenhead. 1 of these has him living back in Nottingham in 1921, working as a coach trimmer (ex army) but there is no document to substantiate this.

I can only find 1 George Atkin, Sherwood Forresters in SDGW and he died 19.09.18. He is also the only one recorded in CWGC database.

Sandie

Thank you all. I know he is a George henry (he just did not use that name when attesting, it would appear) and that he survived the horrors of 20 October 1914. What I am trying to determine is whether he was wounded or taken POW on that day (or indeed any other).

George E - TR6/9856 - joined RDF

George 4560 - Killed 1918 (2nd Bn)

George 9499 - 2nd Bn - He seems to have returned to the Battalion on two other occasions so possibly wounded in 1914. (9479 joined 9/7/1904 and 9490 15/7/04) The medal rolls has a red* next to number but I cannot find out what that means. Rolls show only 2nd Bn though.

George H - 102042 - 12th bn - (102047 - Joined up 6/1/1917)

George W - 89412 - 10th or 11th Bn. - discharged 1917 (SWB)

(Medal rolls Notts & Derby Regiment)

Probably the casulty lists in the local papers would be your best hope. I presume he was one of the 97 who joined on 27th sept 1914.

(unless BRONNO has anything on him)

Steve M

Thanks, Steve M. Where does your info that Pte 9499 "returned to the battalion on two occasions" stem from? (The red asterisk is because they initially mis-issued his Star with the number 8499).

Andy Hesketh's nominal roll for N&D lists Regiment changes etc, He is down on three occasions as Notts & Derby Regiment and the Medal rolls only show him with one battalion.

The first number is actually listed as 8499 on the nominal roll and then changes to 9499.

SM

O.K. I can't add much more than the above but on my records 9499 Pte George Atkin is as being with the 3rd Battalion (Reserve/Training) Notts and Derbys on 14th October 1915 and was then serving with ' K'" Company. So i can only assume he was possibly wounded or sick and returned home surviving Ennetieres but there is also a chance he may have been a casualty at Hooge (322 wounded or missing) in August 1915.

Just to add George Atkin, 4560 lived at 11 Lawrence Street, Radford, Nottingham and the Nottingham Evening Post of 1918 shows that he too was wounded with the 2nd Battalion at Lille on 11th November 1914.

Also a George Atkins with an early number of 11870 (later 4961692) he enlisted as a regular on the 25th May 1912 and was a Prisoner of War taken on the 20th October 1914 with the 2nd Battalion being released on the 28th December 1918.

BRONNO

Medal Roll only has him serving with the 2nd Battalion overseas; perhaps the inked in 3 refers to 3rd Battalion as per Bronno's post

post-4619-0-14503400-1348992161_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandfather, 9211 LCpl Harry Shilcock ( Sherwood Foresters) was taken POW on 22nd October 1914 at Asine ?, no details of where he was taken after that until he was repatriated in 1918, seem to remember he said something about 'Achmer Heath' in Germany. As always, they did'nt speak about their experiances, he went on to be an Air Ministry Policeman in WW2, grand chap he was too

Barry