Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early War Issue Pattern 1908 Infantry Webbing set

Pete_C

Glad it turned out a good one. Cheaper than you thought it might be as well I should think. :thumbsup: Cheers,Paul.

Yes Paul, I'd gone in hard with a suicidal bid, just in case there was another lunatic out there after the same thing, and would you credit it, I was the only bidder and got it for £8 - sometimes, very occasionally, it works out.

Thanks again,

Manxy

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit late to this topic but it's fascinating. I have a question to you all about the type of brass snaps used during World War One. 

Has anyone ever seen 1908 pattern webbing with plain brass snaps instead of the pebble grain? I'm looking into purchasing two items that have plain face snaps. 

I've never heard of them, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean that this alternative wasn't a war-time expediency version. 

Any help that you all can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Happy collecting! 

- Dave

7 hours ago, DapperDave said:

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit late to this topic but it's fascinating. I have a question to you all about the type of brass snaps used during World War One. 

Has anyone ever seen 1908 pattern webbing with plain brass snaps instead of the pebble grain? I'm looking into purchasing two items that have plain face snaps. 

I've never heard of them, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean that this alternative wasn't a war-time expediency version. 

Any help that you all can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Happy collecting! 

- Dave

Hi Dave

I have a couple of 1915 dated entrenching tool head carriers made by MW&S Ltd, with plain snap fasteners to the closure straps. Examples do turn up from time to time but I've never seen this type of fastener used on any other 1908 Pattern web components regardless of who made them. I'd be very interested to know which components you're looking at ?

All the best,

Pete

Very nice set!

I have a LH cartridge carrier which has a plain faced snapper. However, one is missing and the rest are pebble grain, so could be a repair? The reverse says Newey's though, which I believe is correct? 

On 25/01/2017 at 18:56, jossw said:

Very nice set!

I have a LH cartridge carrier which has a plain faced snapper. However, one is missing and the rest are pebble grain, so could be a repair? The reverse says Newey's though, which I believe is correct? 

Here are some shots of the snap fastener I referred to in post 30. The inside of the cap is stamped  CARR'S  PAT. '13. Both male and female components differ in design from the standard Newey pattern and the fastening of the male component looks to be far more secure - we know from surviving examples and contemporary photographs that this was a weak point with the Newey Patent fastener. MW&S may even have been trialling this as an alternative and improved design, as I suspect they did with their stud and buttonhole fastening cartridge carriers. As mentioned, I have never seen this design of fastener used on any other web components besides 1915 dated MW&S entrenching tool head carriers. Perhaps the snap fastener on the e/t carrier was especially prone to failure as it's worth remembering it was replaced with a toungless buckle in 1916 (LoC 14795). 

All the best,

Pete

CARRS_SNAP_FRONT.jpg

CARRS_SNAP_OPEN.jpg

CARRD_SNAP_INTERIOR.jpg

Edited by Pete_C

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 17:11, Pete_C said:

Hi Dave

I have a couple of 1915 dated entrenching tool head carriers made by MW&S Ltd, with plain snap fasteners to the closure straps. Examples do turn up from time to time but I've never seen this type of fastener used on any other 1908 Pattern web components regardless of who made them. I'd be very interested to know which components you're looking at ?

All the best,

Pete

Hi Pete, 

I'm sorry for reply being so late. I never received a notification that you had responded. But thank you for that information. I appreciate it! Yes, the only '08 equipment I've seen with the plain snaps are the entrenching tool head carriers. They're hard to find too, I've been searching for one for a while. 

Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased items from Chris at CS Militaria? I've been browsing his site and some items are interesting, so I'm interested in other people's experiences. I apologize if this is not the correct thread to ask :D

Edited by DapperDave

1 hour ago, DapperDave said:

Chris at CS Militaria? I've been browsing his site and some items are interesting, so I'm interested in other people's experiences.

Chris is to be highly recommended IMHO, and one of the few I'd do so about unhesitatingly.

Cheers,

GT.

1 hour ago, Grovetown said:

Chris is to be highly recommended IMHO, and one of the few I'd do so about unhesitatingly.

Cheers,

GT.

I agree 100% with GT. My experience buying from Chris  has only been positive and a dealer who you can have a social chat to without getting the feeling you are wasting his time. Recommended!

cheers 

Mark

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2012 at 00:07, TonyE said:

That's correct. The Australians did not switch their domestic production of .303 ball ammunition to Mark VII until February 1918, with New Zealand switching at about the same time.

I am not convinced though that the Australians on the Western Front were still using Mark VI in the latter part of the war. I suspect that they had "traded in" their Mark VI sighted SMLEs for regular Mark VII sighted rifles.by then.

The easiest way to check whether your LE Mark I* has been re-sighted is to look at the barrel just behind the rear sight. If it has been converted it should have "HV" (for high velocity) stamped there.

Dibw29 - For your inert rounds you can seat the bullets to the correct depth by puttting them crosswise in the jaws of a Workmate or similar and carefully winding the jaws in.

Hang onto the Mark II chargers, they are quite hard to find these days in good condition.

Regards

TonyE

Firstly, an absolutely beautiful set of WE P1908, my congratulations.

Secondly regards the AIF and MK VII ammunition. The AIF fought at Gallipoli with Mk VI, after the withdrawal they were in garrison in Egypt guarding the canal and training. During this period 1 and 2 Divisions were split to create 4 and 5 Divisions with the strength of all 4 divisions made up from reinforcements who had accumulated in Egypt but had not seen service at Gallipoli.  3 Division was formed in Australia and went straight to UK for training in 1916 and was then sent to join the other Divisions in France in late 1916. During those early months of 1916 the AIF rifles in Egypt had the rear sights converted for MkVII ammunition. I do have a good contemporary reference for this upgrade program (I think one of the battalion histories) but have not been able to find it to add to this post.  I have no idea when/how 3 Division was converted from MkVI to MkVII ammunition, but would be very surprised if they were not upgraded prior to leaving England.

With an Australian rifle acquired in Germany still set up for MkVI, it could have been a Western Front capture that had somehow missed the upgrade program, impossible to know exactly how this could have occurred, a rifle that missed conversion in Egypt, or a latter reinforcement coming via the UK. Possibly even a Gallipoli capture that made its way through to Germany during the war.

Cheers

Ross    

Edited by Chasemuseum
previous post was incomplete

2 hours ago, Chasemuseum said:

With an Australian rifle acquired in Germany still set up for MkVI, it could have been a Western Front capture that had somehow missed the upgrade program, impossible to know exactly how this could have occurred, a rifle that missed conversion in Egypt, or a latter reinforcement coming via the UK. Possibly even a Gallipoli capture that made its way through to Germany during the war.

Cheers

Ross    

Thanks Ross, that's very helpful. I'll start a new thread when I have a moment and post some photos. The butt is nicely marked and may throw up a few more clues as to its origins. 

All the best, 

Pete

15 hours ago, Grovetown said:

Cheers,

GT.

Okay great, I had spoken with him just briefly and began to get the same sense, but I figured it's always good to check. Thank you, I appreciate your help!

14 hours ago, mark holden said:

I agree 100% with GT. My experience buying from Chris  has only been positive and a dealer who you can have a social chat to without getting the feeling you are wasting his time. Recommended!

cheers 

Mark

That's really great to hear and I'll now definitely be stopping by his site to complete my '08 kit. Thank you as well!