Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Harding ASC

Guest noodle4hd

Hi all,

I am looking for any help you can possibly give me in finding anything regarding my Great Grandfather during WW1. He was Frank Harding, born in Kettering, Northamptonshire in 1886.

I have attached his Medal Index Card post-92867-0-71170200-1348523350_thumb.j and the 2 photos I have of him - on his own post-92867-0-83323200-1348523399_thumb.j and with his battalion post-92867-0-78393500-1348523426_thumb.j.

I have tried to find his Service Record, without success. I went to the National Archives and tried to find him in the medal rolls, without success. I am now at a total loss as to how to proceed.

My Grandfather doesn't know much about what his Father was doing during the war as Frank never talked about it. He knows that his Father was in the Army Service Corps and that he was at Ypres.

If anybody can help us to find anything about Frank we would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks for reading,

Hannah

Hannah,

I can tell you that he was in the supply part of the ASC. He was also a member of the Special Reserve (SR) and so he most likely had a desirable civilian skill pre-war. The prefix "S2/SR" tells me this. The references to the medal rolls are on the MIC so they should have been locateable. He first theatre of service was Egypt on 29 December 1915 so it would be interesting to find out how Ypres fits in.

If you are not familiar with the archives at Kew, you might wish to consider hiring a professional researcher. Better results and less stress for you! Good luck with your research!

All the best,

Gary

Hello Hannah,

You're not having much luck. Hopefully someone on the Forum will be able to help you.

He only just qualified for the 1914/15 Star, going to Egypt on 29th December 1915. Are his medals still with the family?

Notice he was originally recorded as ASC. The 'Royal' was added towards the end of the war. I think I'm right in saying the S in his service number means he was in 'supplies'. His SR means 'special reserve' so he had a trade or skill. From 1911 census I see he was boot clicker, so he was probably working in this trade in ASC. I imagine boot makers and boot repair men were in great demand.

You can read about RASC here: http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

In remarks is written 'of 2'. At first I thought he had another MIC but there is another Frank Harding in ASC, Private M2/181582.

The 3rd Battle of Ypres, probably better known as Passchendaele, took place between July and November 1917 so I suppose it's possible he served in Ypres.

Regards,

Sandie

Just a note to HARDING, I have a Geo V efficiency India, medal issued to Sgt. E.T. Harding 20 Fd Battery RAAFI, just in case there is a family tie

regards

Bob R.

The Kettering Municipal Roll of Honour shows Frank Harding of 152 Wood Street served in the Army Service Corps for 4 years and Nil months, finishing his career as a Corporal. It denotes that he served in Egypt and France and was discharged in September 1919.

The absent voters list for the 1918 General Election shows him at the same address and notes him as: S2/SR/03429, Private, Army Service Corps, 11 Railhead Supply Detachment.

Steve.