Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chute and Chute Forest Wilts

The Majors Batman

On the War Memorial in the village of Chute Wiltshire there is a A D Skeater listed, this name are also entered in the Book of Remembrance in Salisbury Cathedral.

Obliviously there is no CWGC listing (would not be posting) I have used Geoffs Search Engine and can find no like name ,

FreeBMD comes up only 3 births of that surname in a possible time slot, 2 of which are female also no deaths registered in England 1914-1930.

Please could anyone through any light onto this name being listed

Many Thanks

post-34992-0-41194700-1348475878_thumb.j

Can't find any records for Skeater at The National Archives, army, navy, marines, merchant navy or RAF (women's services too). I haven't checked Ancestry though (and if he served in the army without going overseas there wouldn't be a medal card). Worth considering that they could have emigrated before the war and so served with Canada, Australia or NZ

Having had no luck on FreeBMD and a few other places for Skeates rather than Skeater, I tried the 1911 census and lo and behold:

Albert Dick SKEATES, age 14, Under Game-keeper, born Aldermaston Berks, living at Chute Cadley, Nr Andover.

RG14: Piece 12053: Schedule 32

So he does exist.

Phil

This may to be him:

Albert R. Skeates Private Service No: 23467 Date of Death: 31/08/1915 Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 6th Bn. Grave Reference X. D. 26. Cemetery YPRES RESERVOIR CEMETERY

Martin

I think you're right Martin,

Additional info from SDGW:

Born Aldermaston, Newbury

Enlisted Andover

Killed in Action

Formerly 19167, 13th Reserve Cavalry Regiment

Phil

Transcriptions often vary and there are 3 ending with a s in the cathedral book and all differ I will settle for your findings R can mean Dick

Many Thanks to all