Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lsgc aqquired sure man served ww1 can anyone clarify

madman

Hi Nathan,

20580 Alfred Walter Piggott has service papers which show he enlisted, aged 49, 10th April 1915. He had substantial previous military experience and was immediately made a colour sergeant. He was appointed SQMS 24/6/1918. He seems to have served at home but then volunteered for service with the army of occupation for one year from 24/4/1919.

He had originally enlisted in the East Yorks in 1883, and the Royal Garrison Regiment in 1901. He has 31 pages of papers on Ancestry.

Cheers ipt much appreciated unable to find a medal card for this chap is it possible he doesnt have one ? Maybe no averseas service to qualify for anythin cheers best regards nathan

His previous service may well be available on FindMyPast.

Keith

Searching FindMyPast is free and you can purchase credits to view records, you don't have to subscribe. I have a look however and I can't see anything obvious for him.

Hi

It looks like Ancestry is the way to go, you can purchase a months subscription, then cancel it before it renews.

No overseas service, then no MIC.

WHen you look at his records, make sure you go both ways, it looks like a lot of his records are back from the page that comes up, including previous service number.

regards

Robert

He was an army pay/pensions clerk at Preston from 1915 to 1919.

He died in 1948, aged 82, and is recorded as army records clerk (retired).

(I wonder how much of his work i've sifted through on Ancestry!)

Cheers robert and ipt i will gt subscribed on the monday and see wat can be unearthed best regards

Nathan

Also out of curiosity . At the risk of askin a dumb question what was the role of army records clerk

Cheers again

Nathan

Nathan,

Before you subscribe to ancestry try your local library. Most have the Ancestry "library edition" within their local/family history resources available online...........and it is free.

It has all the usual WW1 sources & census etc (and more).

Steve Y

Cheers steve y

Also another quick question was the different variants on the george v lsgc because iv seen wer the monorchs body goes right to the bottom edge of the medal wer as mine does not and as b m on the arm pit of the monorch if that makes sense

Cheers again

Nathan

Quick question . Got ancestry and have had a look over this mans records wat puzzles me is that on his lsgc medal his rank is listed as pte . But in his records shows him as sjt and other obove ranks is this staping right or should it have other rank on

Cheers all

Regard

He was in the army on and off from 1883. Did he have his 18 years before WW1?

Mind you, I suppose he wouldn't have had the 20580 number if that was the case.

He had done more than 18 years by looks of it and had service numer 704 with the east yorks reg nd then 764 with the royal garisson regiment whom with he seems to have been sent to south africa with it was only upon 1915 he got service number 20580 when he was with the loyals