Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First visit to TNA Kew

rosie49

I am going to finally get a chance to go to Kew next week and I am unsure as to what info I really need to be armed with.

I have a few MIC's for possible matches to my Grandfather Robert Hill ASC and an entry from the Godalming Roll Of Honour giving dates of service but no rank or number.

Do i just need the MIC's roll references to go with or should i decipher further info from them...and if so what?

How/where would I get the WO references with the MIC info I have.

Thanks in advance

Fester

Hi Fester

Yes you do need to convert the MIC roll pages to WO as that is what you order.

Go here - http://www.nationala...ogue/search.asp

For example- one I have done previously for the 15 star on roll D/55C - enter that in the word line and I put in dates from 1914-1920, then enter.

It brings up this page - http://www.nationala...=28&image1.y=17

and there is your WO number you need.

Sometimes the conversion is not that easy, you have to muck around a bit.

regards

Robert

• Admin

Yes, had some good info from couple of very helpful people on here when I first started out...

http://1914-1918.inv...opic=157209&hl=

:-)

That gives us an interesting disciussion on OS Chevrons but no definite idea of which MICs you are going to investigate. Tell us who you are looking for and you'll probably find he has already been researched.

That gives us an interesting disciussion on OS Chevrons but no definite idea of which MICs you are going to investigate. Tell us who you are looking for and you'll probably find he has already been researched.

All on that thread...

Fester

According to the Godalming Town Roll of Honour, your man is

Robert Henry Hill

Address: 25 Bridge Street, Godalming

Corps: Army Service Corps

Enlisted: 1 September 1914

Demobbed: 29 January 1919

Theatre of War: France

Overseas Chevrons (Stripes): 4 Blue

Then...

Thankyou Bootneck!

I have gone through the Robert H Hills on TNA for a possible MIC . The only one for the ASC is:-

Robert H Hill T1SR/255 Driver

Okay, I now have the MIC for Robert H Hill T1SR/255 ASC Driver through from my MIC guy, Steve.

There is no roll number for a Star.

There is no theatre of war or date filled in.

The Victory & British ref is Rasc/101B7 page 714

Can anyone help with the Roll details please?

...Also...

Should this not be the correct MIC there are more with just the name of Robert Hill on my TNA search assigned to the ASC:-

F/28656 Private

S4/184854 Private

M/2/268716 Private

T4/245877 Corporal

MS/1048 Private then Sargeant

T/13152 Farrier Corporal then Corporal

M2/080243 Private

M/31624 (incomplete) Private

M/287312 (incomplete) Private

Therefore I'm going to search for a Robert Henry Hill, starting with T1SR/255 and then working through the list of others.

His brothers I found on Ancestry OK - MIC's and service records... Roberts may just be lost.

Hi Fester

Yes you do need to convert the MIC roll pages to WO as that is what you order.

Go here - http://www.nationala...ogue/search.asp

For example- one I have done previously for the 15 star on roll D/55C - enter that in the word line and I put in dates from 1914-1920, then enter.

It brings up this page - http://www.nationala...=28&image1.y=17

and there is your WO number you need.

Sometimes the conversion is not that easy, you have to muck around a bit.

regards

Robert

Thanks Robert. great stuff

:-)

Don't forget the basics - photo ID, a good proof of address- ie utility bill or bank statement etc to get your readers card or you will not be able to access the documents. Details on the Archives web site. Also, it pays to take a digital camera, making sure that you know how to turn off the flash. You can recharge your battery at the NA in any reading desk provided you take the charger with you. if you camera has a macro setting so much the better.

Keith

And don't try to go on a Monday - they are closed that day.

Keith

Ok many thanks.

I dont expect to find much as I would have thought if his details were available I would have found them on Ancestry along with his brothers.

Its worth a shot though. Even if I just collect the info and store it I may have some luck one day and have something to cross reference with.

Rome wasnt built in a day... these guys dug trenches for months - Im sure I can search-surf from my sofa for a few more months.

Cheers all

Well I was right. nothing found.

I checked many possible Roll record books but there was no more info on any of them than is on the MIC's.

The only clue I have is the Godalming Roll O H entry that Bootneck found for me so as a last resort I may have to go to Surrey to trawl through old newspapers for any refs...

...one day.