Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying WW1 unit Pt 2

mcpl.wray

Hi

I am looking for some help in identifying the unit an ancestor was in. All I have is the attached picture that I received electronically some time ago. They are not the greatest quality by any means. I have requested a better picture from a distant family member but have received nothing.

He is identified as Walter ARNOLD. It looks like he has something on his right sleeve. Not sure if he was a WO2 or if it is a trade qualification. He has the bandaleer, riding pants and knee high boots as well as the white lanyard usually associated with the artillery. However, the cap badge looks wrong again. I have added a second picture that was said to include him. He is the man seated in the front row right side.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wray

post-92778-0-38341900-1348248852_thumb.p

post-92778-0-90677000-1348248922_thumb.j

These two pictures could be when he was with the A.S.C., the badge does look something like, but close ups would make them much easier to identify.

Thanks again old owl

I wish I had the originals. Unfortunately any close up is badly blurred. However, I showed them to a friend who retired after 30+ years in the British army and that is what he thought as well. Any idea what is on his right sleeve?

Hi again

Anyone know if the group photo is pre WW1 by chance?

I agree with the other posters that ASC is a strong possibility and the 1903 bandolier and lanyard are typical of that corps. The rifles look as if they are piled via the special swivel for that purpose on the pre-war long lee enfield rifle, although several units deployed in 1914 with this obsolescent rifle.

Thanks for the help. Anyone have an idea what is on his sleeve? I am wondering if the group pic is boer war maybe? He was quite old on the onset of ww1.

I don't think that the badge on his sleeve will be a rank badge, it is more likely to be a trade/shooting badge. I think that the picture is definitely circa WW1 rather than Boer War.

I think Frogsmile has probably given as good a version of this as you are likely to get.