Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monash: The outsider who won a war

Peter Beckett

Have booked in to an "Evening with Roland Perry" on Wed 1st Sep at the Frankston Arts Centre in Frankston, Victoria, Aus.

This is a meeting with the author and according to the blurb is the first really comprehensive biography of Monash and promises to be a fascinating evening.

I must say I am looking forward to it as it is not often that anything about WW1 ever gets down my way so will post a report next week.

Peter

Peter

Lucky you! It should be most interesting. I can't say that I was overly impressed with the book, though.

While the Monash story is most inspiring, I found that the book was disappointing on two grounds: the maps are remarkably unenlightening, not having any information other than the final lines reached by troops on particular days; and there are far too many sloppy errors, such as 'IX Army' where IX Corps is meant, General Byng's first name is given as 'Julius' rather than Julian', the Tank Corps General Elles is called 'Ellis', there are mentions of the RFC after April 1918, etc.

I suppose that the above is the publisher's, rather than the author's, fault, but I found it all quite annoying.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

I wonder if I should push my luck and ask about the faults you found :P

They can't throw me out as I have paid the $10 entrance fee already

Peter

I must say I am looking forward to it as it is not often that anything about WW1 ever gets down my way so will post a report next week.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this Peter

Best regards

MIchael D.R.

Have booked in to an "Evening with Roland Perry" on Wed 1st Sep at the Frankston Arts Centre in Frankston, Victoria, Aus.

This is a meeting with the author and according to the blurb is the first really comprehensive biography of Monash and promises to be a fascinating evening.

Peter

Hi Peter

I don't know if Geoffrey Searle and PA Pedersen would agree with the statement of it being 'the first really comprehensive biography of Monash'. Both authors mentioned have done very extensive works on Monash.

Pedesen's 'Monash as Military Commander' is a very good work.

Will be interested to hear your feedback from that event.

Cheers

Andrew

Well, they won't tell me why but just got a phone call to say the night has been cancelled. I get my money back. Big deal! I was all primed up to ask some probing questions. :angry:

Peter ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Spiel in today's Australian by Perry comparing Monash and "The Don".

If this is any indication I too cannot hold out much hope for the book.

Cheers

Edward

Sorry,

I forgot to post the reason the evening was cancelled. When I asked as I got my $10 back - not enough interest shown B)

Edward, I will have to see if I can get a copy as I dont remember reading about the Don in the trenches or Sir John playing test cricket.

Peter ;)

I dont remember reading about the Don in the trenches or Sir John playing test cricket.

Peter,

Many thanks: I laughed out loud when I read that

I have Sir John’s interests as chess, gardening, opera, painting and astronomy, but like you, I could find no reference to the noble game of cricket

Is there any evidence that he was in the stands at Shell Green for that famous one day match in 1915?

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Sorry,

I forgot to post the reason the evening was cancelled. When I asked as I got my $10 back - not enough interest shown B)

Edward, I will have to see if I can get a copy as I dont remember reading about the Don in the trenches or Sir John playing test cricket.

Peter ;)

Looked at both as "outsiders".

"The Don" was the nearest thing to a professional without being one, was not the most comradely of people to those around him and was dedicated to winning the game.

Can scan/post the article if you request though for copyright reasons best done "back-channel" - put a note in my mailbox if interested.

Cheers

Edward

PS Both of course had service but "The Don" was very quickly invalided out of service in WW2 due to a back complaint (and he was of more value propaganda wise).

Edward,

I found the article on-line and it should still be available for a few more days

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E7583,00.html

It’s more than my poor English life is worth for me to comment on The Don

However, I am a fan of Sir John Monash and dare I say that this seems to go a little over the top?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Edward,

I found the article on-line and it should still be available for a few more days

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E7583,00.html

It’s more than my poor English life is worth for me to comment on The Don

However, I am a fan of Sir John Monash and dare I say that this seems to go a little over the top?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Thanks - that was the one.

Yes it appears a tad over the top - so as I said I don't expect much.

Gen Cosgrove almost must have been paid to launch it ! On the other hand, he has suffered a little in the press recently over recent events (and other things that occurred prior to his reign) so perhaps he wanted to get amongst his "admirers" (though most would have been journos and “hangers-on”)….

Cheers

Edward

he has suffered a little in the press recently over recent events (and other things that occurred prior to his reign) so perhaps he wanted to get amongst his "admirers" (though most would have been journos and “hangers-on”)….

Edward,

re Gen Cosgrove: I remember my family in Oz telling me that he got into trouble with some vets when, at his leadership seminar for Waugh’s men prior to their visit to Gallipoli in 2001, he distributed slouch hats to the team. Apparently the Vets’ comments were along the lines of - ‘I don’t care who you are mate, There’s only one way to earn that hat!’

Regards

Michael D.R.

he has suffered a little in the press recently over recent events (and other things that occurred prior to his reign) so perhaps he wanted to get amongst his "admirers" (though most would have been journos and “hangers-on”)….

Edward,

re Gen Cosgrove: I remember my family in Oz telling me that he got into trouble with some vets when, at his leadership seminar for Waugh’s men prior to their visit to Gallipoli in 2001, he distributed slouch hats to the team. Apparently the Vets’ comments were along the lines of - ‘I don’t care who you are mate, There’s only one way to earn that hat!’

Regards

Michael D.R.

Yes - and it took me 27 years of service in the Army of the Glorious Oz to work out that I think I reasonable claim to be able to wear one.....

Cheers

Edward

And there's a Slouch Hat connection here in that Monash decreed that his Division had to wear their hats "turned all down". Peter maintains the tradition, at least on most occasions.

And there's a Slouch Hat connection here in that Monash decreed that his Division had to wear their hats "turned all down". Peter maintains the tradition, at least on most occasions.

And it is such a horrible sight when it is wore with the brim starched flat (and worn horizontal to the ground). Looks more like a "lemon squeezer"....

Needs to be worn with a bit of a rake ("two fingers above right eye and four fingers above left ear") when the side is turned up. If the hat is to be worn with side turned down then the brim needs to be contoured a little so the front and rear of the brim are pulled lower (almost "dished").

Generally speaking "makes 'em look like Aussies"!

Cheers

Edward

PS at least wearing the slouch hat gets rid of those awful berets (not many can wear them successfully) except for those "turret heads" (may have a reason I suppose) and the "meat heads" (so you use it as a target!)

PPS and I have me commission ! So now I can sleep in when them damn pipes rouse the troops!