Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. October 1918.

Guest davidacton

Guest davidacton

Hello.

Looking for help concerning Walter Geroge Hazelwood, Lance Corporal. 19451. 2/7th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Killed in action. Sommaing, near Cambrai. 24th October 1918.

I have located his grave but would like to know how he died. Is there anyone with access to War Diaries for this day that might be able to provide anymore inforamtion?

I attach an image of the grave and inscription.

Many thanks in advance.

post-92729-0-06576600-1348141561_thumb.j

• Admin

Hello David

Welcome to the forum. THe 2/7 Warwicks had just come from a few days in billets at a place called Rieux (south of Cambrai) and moved towards the village of Sommaing with the objective to take the village.Here is the war diary

October 24th 1918

Assembly reported complete at 0315. At 0400 Battalion advanced towards village of SOMMAING – Left Battalion boundary P18 a67 – Q7 a65 – Q2688; Right Battalion boundary Q13 c96 – Q13 b92; Inter Company boundary Q8 d32 – Q8 b72 – Q 9 a19 – Q4 a21.

10th Brigade (4th Div) on our left, 2/6 R WAR R on our right.

Attack was preceded by artillery barrage. Z Coy on left got across river ECALLION quite well but met with MG fire and also a good deal of wire defences but pushed forward and reached a further defence system in Q7b which was very strong with front and support trenches and communication trenches.

X Coy in support came up against much greater resistance; river being heavily wired on both banks. On the enemy side were a considerable number of MG posts. They managed to cross river to the strength of a platoon but came under counter attack and withdrew to a line on Q13b on the rear slope of ridge with two forward posts at Q13 b92.

W Coy advanced in support of Z Coy on left and established three posts in front of village but owing to misunderstanding, Z Coy had withdrawn across river and of village. Information of these three posts did not come through in time to be of any use.

Y Coy had advanced in support of X Coy but without any success.

1000 hours

Z, W and Y now reorganised and pushed forward from P18 b94 towards the village. Position remained like this till 1645.

1645 hours

At this time, the 2/8 WORCESTERS passed through us and reached MUR COPSE Q7a which had been cleared earlier by the 4th Division. From line they advanced from NW to SE direction. The 184 Brigade at the same time pushing up from SE of VENDEGIES. All Coys now pushed forward in support of WORCESTERS.

October 25th 1918

SOMMAING now clear of enemy and Brigade objective reached on a line running from NE corner of MUR COPSE to Q8 a92.

TRENCH STATE: 22 officer, 503 other ranks.

CASUALTIES- 2/LT R W LEEDAM (killed), LT E H HUMBY, 2/LT H S THOMAS, 2/LT W E SILVESTER all wounded; 2/LT F CASSELL gassed. Other ranks 198.

CAPTURES: about 150 prisoners, 1 77mm field gun, 9 M Guns, 1 anti tank rifle

Glen

He is on the Birmingham Roll of Honour but there is no mention in the Bham Weekly Post

Guest davidacton

Many thanks to you both for the information.

Walter was married to my paternal grandmother (Ethel) almost a year earlier, I have many letters sent by him from the Front, they were obviously very much in love.

She later remarried (my Grandfather - also a widow). I only remember her as a very old lady.

My Aunty recalls that she never really recovered from the loss of her sweetheart (why she kept all the letters I guess). Some were returned to her bloodstained and we've always thought that Walter was carrying them when killed. I can only assume that he died quickly and that his body was recovered and easily identified (due to the small amount of graves in the cemetery).

Walters medals and record cards were sent to the Warwicks Museum several years ago.

My sister and I find this part of our family history extemely moving and we are very proud (and saddened) by the bravery of such a young man (one of thousands) during this awful conflict.

I attach a photograph of Walter and Ethel on their wedding day 08.10.1917.

post-92729-0-16201300-1348220504_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Hi

Hello David

Welcome to the forum. THe 2/7 Warwicks had just come from a few days in billets at a place called Rieux (south of Cambrai) and moved towards the village of Sommaing with the objective to take the village.Here is the war diary

Glen

Hi Glen

I don't suppose you have the war diary for this regiment from 1917 too? I have a relative George Francis, who was killed on the 19th November 1917 - does the diary give any indication of what happened around that time?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ruth

Morning Ruth

It says,

Greenland Hill sector

2am A raid was made on enemy trenches opposite our left front by Captain Bateman M.C. and 2 officers with 44 other ranks and a prisoner

was brought back. Maps and orders relating thereto are attached.

There are pages and pages in the diary then about the raid.

I would recommend downloading the War Diary for just over 3 quid from

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355333

this way you can see what the battalion got up to every day and see the myriad of pages re the raid and the map

Regards,

Graeme

• 2 years later...

Hi David

My Uncle Frederick Walter Luscombe also died on 24/10/1918 & I am also trying to understand circumstances surrounding his death. as well as the copy of the War Diary for that day from SPOF I have also found another report which is attached.which gives a more graphic account of the action. I would be interested in any other details you find. What I have also started to do is plot the route taken by the 2/7 before & after Sommaing 

War Diary BB.jpg