Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Bdr Harold Andrews RFA

RAN

Hello, (1st post)

I am researcing my grandfather's army history. It early days but so far I have the following information......

Date of enlistment (War Badge Roll) : 24/04/13

Original No (War Badge roll) : 1182

Last No. (War Badge roll) : 705299 (confirmed by actual Character Cert)

Theatre of War 1st served in (Medal Card) : (3) Egypt

Date of Entry therein (Medal Card) : 27/05/15

Date of discharge (War Badge Roll) : 28/02/19

Reason for discharge (War Badge Roll) : Wdns.392(XVI)

Unit discharged from (War Badge Roll) : 210 bde

The National Archive records I have found for both 1182 and 705299 have his rank as "Driver"

It seems that he served with the RFA. I have checked on Ancestry for records, but have only found the SWB list and medal card. I am assuming that his service record was lost during the WW2 fire ?

From searching around the net I think he may have been part of the 42nd East Lancs Infantry div. He was from the Gorton/Beswick/Ardwick area of Manchester. 210 bde was formally either 1/1, 1/3 or 1/4 of the East Lancs I understand.

Without his service record am i correct in thinking its going to be difficult to gain much more information.

As above he was discharged with wounds( Right arm amputated), i have checked on Ancestry for a pension record but could not find one. Would he have been entiltled to a pension ? if so are there any other links to find any further info on this ?

Any information or guidance would be really welcomed.

RAN

Harold Andrews b 1897 Manchester lived 81 Lewis Street Miles Platting Manchester 10 in 1911 an apprentice in an iron works. Miles Platting only a cock stride from Beswick area.

RAN,

The number 705299 belongs to someone who was in 1/2nd East Lancs Bde RFA which became 211 Bde, but was broken up (as 212 Bde) in February 1917. One can assume that on break up he was posted to 210 Bde (which was once 1/1st East Lancs Bde RFA). The 1/2nd consisted of 15th, 16th & 17th Lancashire Batteries based in Manchester. 15th Lancashire Battery and some of 16th Lancashire Battery merged to form "A" Battery in the shortlived 212 Bde. "A" Battery, 212 Bde and this became "C" Battery, 210 Bde. It looks like this is how your grandfather ended up in 210 Bde on discharge.

Full details here - http://www.warpath.orbat.com/divs/42_div.htm

I'm pretty sure that a pension would be given for an amputation as a direct result of wounding on active service. In my experience there is a good chance of finding a Pension record for an RFA man who is on the SWB List. I'll have a double check for you.

David,

Thanks for your reply. I had seen the info on the link you provided, but at first glance could not farthom the changes that had taken place. Your info will now help me get my head around the changes. I had also seen info on the allocation of numbers which seem to indicate that my grandfather initially was in 211 Bde.

Any information on any pension most welcomed.

Thanks again.

• 11 months later...

RAN,

The number 705299 belongs to someone who was in 1/2nd East Lancs Bde RFA which became 211 Bde, but was broken up (as 212 Bde) in February 1917. One can assume that on break up he was posted to 210 Bde (which was once 1/1st East Lancs Bde RFA). The 1/2nd consisted of 15th, 16th & 17th Lancashire Batteries based in Manchester. 15th Lancashire Battery and some of 16th Lancashire Battery merged to form "A" Battery in the shortlived 212 Bde. "A" Battery, 212 Bde and this became "C" Battery, 210 Bde. It looks like this is how your grandfather ended up in 210 Bde on discharge.

Full details here - http://www.warpath.orbat.com/divs/42_div.htm

I'm pretty sure that a pension would be given for an amputation as a direct result of wounding on active service. In my experience there is a good chance of finding a Pension record for an RFA man who is on the SWB List. I'll have a double check for you.

I know it almost a year since this thread was last commented on but re the above post. Can anyone help with prividing any suggestions on how I could determine if there are any pension records for my grandfather ?

Any advice would be most welcomed, thanks in advance.

RAN

• Admin

RAN

THey will be on Ancestry. IF you don't subscribe, your local library may have access if you are in the UK. Otherwise there is a 2 week trial option but make sure you cancel it before you are automatically signed up.

Also look at the resent WFA pension car records http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-current-news/pension-records.html

Glen

Glen,

Thank you for your reply.

I have searched on Ancestry as I have a subsciption, no luck so far.

The WFA may be an option, pity they have not yet digitsed the records. That I would imagine will cost a fortune, however it is good the records have been saved.

RAN