Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Mawhinne 8437

ander11

Hi guy's

I could use some help, I can't find Private, 8437 Robert Mawhinnie , 2nd Bn Black Watch on the CWGC . I have got him on the SNWM & SDGW any help would be appreciated !!

regards

Ian

Thanks Munster & Sandie Yes that's what I am after and thanks for the picture of graves

Great work

Ian

Sorry guy's but is this the same man ,details taking from SDGW

BLACK WATCH (Royal Highlanders )

2nd BN

Mawhinnie

Robert

Private , 8437

Born - Dysert,Fife

Enlisted - kirkcaldy,fife

Killed in action on 11/03/1915

France & Flanders

Sandie you gave his brother information , one was born in Fife and the other is born in port Glenone, Co Antrim. Is this right ???

Royal Scots Fusilers

1st Bn

Mawhinnie

Wm.J

Born - Port Glenone,Co Antrim

Enlisted - Greenock

Residence - Port Glasgow

Killed in Action on 29/09/1915

France & Flanders

Ian

Sandie you gave his brother information , one was born in Fife and the other is born in port Glenone, Co Antrim. Is this right ???

Sorry Ian but I don't know if they were brothers, I don't even know if they were related.

It's just that they they both came up together in a search of SDGW for Mawhinnie. The information you have posted is the same that came up in my search.

I found a Robert Mawhinnie, born 1879, in the 1901 Scotland census. He was living at 5 Co Operative Buildings, Wemyss, Fife as a lodger. He was a coal hewer born in Ireland.

The age is right but the place of birth is different, I wonder if this is your man and he was born in Ireland.

The only other Robert Mawhinnie's born in Scotland are much too young to be him.

8437 R Mawhinnye (spelling on cwgc) was Brother of Mr. A. Mawhinney, of Milford, Co. Armagh.15841has no relative listed.john

This chap appears in the 1911 census for Ireland as Alexander Mawhinnie of Hill Street, Milford Town.

*William Mawhinnie does not appear in the 1901 or 1911 census for Ireland.

Thanks again Munster & Sandie, I have just looked at SNWM and it has him born in Dysert,Fife thats put a spanner in the works!!!

Ian

I can't find a Robert Mawhinnie born in Fife in 1879/80 on Ancestry. Scotland's people may be better as that has the 1911 census for Scotland.

Sandie

I've just realised that Robert was in the same battalion as your Great Grandfather. Is that why you are researching Robert?

Sandie you are correct , I am doing research on all the 2nd Battalion in a database

regards

Ian

The very best of luck :thumbsup:

Thanks Sandie I just Reached "M" so far hence Mawhinnie :D

Ian

There was a Robert Mawhinnie who was staying as a boarder at 9 Plantation Row Wemyss, Fife as recorded in the 1911 Census. His age was 31 with his occupation recorded as coal miner drawer and his place of birth was recorded as being Ireland. (Source Scottish Statutory Records via Scotland People).

Douglas

150 + and the ones that died :doh:

Ian

There was a Robert Mawhinnie who was staying as a boarder at 9 Plantation Row Wemyss, Fife as recorded in the 1911 Census. His age was 31 with his occupation recorded as coal miner drawer and his place of birth was recorded as being Ireland. (Source Scottish Statutory Records via Scotland People).

Douglas

Many thanks Douglas, I think Both SDGW & SNWM have got it wrong. I have just posted it on the Black Watch Forum to see what they turn up !!

Many thanks

Ian

Douglas

Well done, Douglas. He's the chap in the 1901 census.

Many thanks Douglas, I think Both SDGW & SNWM have got it wrong. I have just posted it on the Black Watch Forum to see what they turn up !!

Many thanks

Ian

He may have put Dysert, Fife on his documents when he enlisted. Is Wemyss anywhere near Dysert?

EDIT: AA routeplanner - Wemyss (coaltown) Kirkaldy, Fife to Dysart, Kirkaldy, Fife = 2.1 miles.

Sandie

I use to live in Fife, for about 18 years ,and yes wemyss is quite close dysart. Kirkcaldy is where I used to go Clubing :ph34r:

Ian

Love the smiley!

My Dad used to work in Kirkcaldy! He delivered cars by transporter from Liverpool, several times a week for many years. Is there some type of vehicle distribution centre there?

I'd have asked him about Wemyss/Dysart but my parents are in Spain at present.

Sandie