The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Maxwell Christopher West Riding Reg

blue

HI everyone

My friend has just found his grandfathers 15 trio in the loft (3rd generation living in the same house)

Pte Maxwell Christopher 3177 West Riding Regiment Later 400306 Labour Corps . Any help in putting together his military career would be of great help as the family have little information on his life during the war.

Many thanks Blue

Blue

He was also discharged sick with Silver War Badge....If he was a Saddleworth /Mossley lad (census) I'd suggest he was 7th batt West Ridings not in original deployment as dates don't tally.

However may have good news there's a partial record for 1459 pte maxwell christopher enlisted in 7th Batt in 1913 he was discharged in 1914 ....dad Asa?? Lived uppermill he is from that part of country so this could be your man who re-enlisted March 1915....

Ady

Thanks everyone.

Ady thats our man, son of Asa, when you say he was discharged with a SWB would that have been in 1914 ?according to the census he would only have been 16/17 .He was demobed 1919

Thanks everyone.

Ady thats our man, son of Asa, when you say he was discharged with a SWB would that have been in 1914 ?according to the census he would only have been 16/17 .He was demobed 1919

Blue

The Silver War Badge would have been for when he was discharged in 1919, the enlistment in 1913 and discharge in 1914 would be probably because he was underage and would be unconnected to his discharge in 1919.

This is a link to the Ancestry Service Record Ady mentions http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&db=BritishArmyService&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=ms_db&gsfn=maxwell&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=christopher&gsln_x=XO&_F0003C18=1459&dbOnly=_F0003C18%7C_F0003C18_x&_F0003C18_x=1&dbOnly=_F0003CA3%7C_F0003CA3_x&uidh=000 if you don't have Ancestry, take the free trial by clicking on "View Document", when you do view it, go back a few pages as sometimes the link can take you to the middle of the Service Record.

Sam

Thanks Sam

As a ex subscriber to Ancestry it unfortunately wont let me start a free trial !!! If there is anybody out there who could have a look and fill me in with the main details i would be very grateful

Many thanks again Blue

Hello Blue

Maxwell Christopher was wounded at least twice whilst serving with the 1/7 West Riding Regiment, Nov/Dec 1915 and July 1916. There are references to him in the Oldham Chronicle, but I don't have copies. There were also other members of the family serving with this Battalion. I am collecting information about the men of the 7 Bn West Riding Regiment, I would be most grateful if your friend might be able to help ?

Regards

Ron

Blue

you should be able to use Ancestry at your local reference /local studies library.

Keith